GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: fan clutch assembly HELP!!!

Default fan clutch assembly HELP!!! plus radiator question in post#2

I can't get the fan clutch assembly off to access the thermostat housing. Whenever I turn it, the belt wheels turn too and I and stop them from doing so. And yes, I do know they they're reverse thread. Please help!! *waits in the garage patiently*

gamjohn2
    Last edited by gamjohn2; 04-19-2007 at 06:08 PM.

Also, the new Behr radiator that I bought has two gold inlets on the expansion tank that my old radiator does not have. What are these for and do I need to plug them if I am not going to use them?? See pic (on left side).
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Those two inlets on the left side are for an automatic transmission cooler. If you have a manual transmission, don't worry about it.

Quote Originally Posted by clindahl
    Those two inlets on the left side are for an automatic transmission cooler. If you have a manual transmission, don't worry about it.
    I have a AT, but as I said the old radiator doesn't have them. Now I'm really confused.

You may have a separate "cooler/radiator" for the automatic transmission fluid - when I had my (engine coolant) radiator replaced the Indy said he didn't need to touch the auto fluid pipes as they went to a separate radiator.

Give the fan clutch wrench handle a sharp, hard wrap with a heavy hammer or light sledge in the proper direction. It'll usually pop loose. If not, you'll need to obtain or fabricate a tool to hold the fan.

If your previous rad didn't use a radiator-based tranny cooler, then don't worry about the inlets on the new one.

1997 535i V8
    5spd, OBC, A/C, cruise, BMW phone, factory M-Tech wheel & suspension, 18" Alpinas