GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: :: Driving car from Canada in the States?

Default :: Driving car from Canada in the States?

Let's say hypothetically that I get a job on California. Let's say hypothetically that the company subsidizes everything except the car, and I work on a TN visa. Let's then say hypothetically that I want to bring the e34 to drive there. Do I need new plates? Local insurance? Anyone have any idea... hypothetically? Or should I just hypothetically get a Z4 to drive?
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

Default I had this issue...

...a few years ago when I moved to Chicago from TO. In Illinois the law states that you have to change your plates after 3 months if you are working here on a permanent basis. May be different if you are a temp worker or on a temp visa. I am married to a US citizen and have a green card but no citizenship - not interested. I brought my Honda Civic SI across with no issues as I did not say that I was relocating, just visiting. After I received my work authorization, I went and got an Illinois drivers license and then shopped for insurance and all was good. There was no mention of having kilos on the speedo as the car was not imported but rather was here visiting.

I suggest that you check the laws before you go there and then just play it by ear. Less you say the better in my opinion. I have seen many times that saying too much at the border crossings will get you in more trouble than just answering the questions that they may come up with. PM me if you want to chat more. Also, check with your home insurance what they will and will not cover during your foray into the states.

friend of mine moved permanently.
    i don't think he changed the plates over until the registration ran out. it was in Cali with Ontario plates for a year or so.

Pretty much it comes down to the question, Are you going to get a california license? If so, then get cali plates. Oh, inspections suck in california and consider yourself lucky if you pass.

Hypothetically... probably not getting a Cali drivers license...

"Provide your social security number. It will be verified with the Social Security Administration while you are in the office."

I'd hypothetically get an IDP:
    http://www.voyage.gc.ca/main/before/...driving-en.asp

Thanks for your input. Gives me a place to start... hypothetically.

Default Info compiled by Stanford U. on Canadian cars

This info was compiled a few years back but is likely still accurate. Perhaps this will help:
    Canadian Car registration
    My 530iT has no trouble passing CA smog testing.
    Good luck with your hypothetical move.

Hal

1995 530iT 262,000 km Nikasil powered
    1999 528iT 151,000 km non-Nikasil powered

Quote Originally Posted by Hal
    This info was compiled a few years back but is likely still accurate. Perhaps this will help:
    Canadian Car registration
    My 530iT has no trouble passing CA smog testing.
    Good luck with your hypothetical move.

Hal

1995 530iT 262,000 km Nikasil powered
    1999 528iT 151,000 km non-Nikasil powered
    Oh good... so any duty payable is about 10 bucks

I need to get an expert on this somewhere... driving with a IDP... then what insurance plus other things will be needed. Of course, it's still hypothetical

i was suprised to read this the other day...would have figured that you needed to have some documentation to get a florida driver's license.....

this doesn't really apply to anything you asked, but i thought i'd type it in anyways

if you are a canadian, this applies to you if you were to end up in florida. apparently, canadians are allowed to roam around the US documentation free for up to 1 year now

http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/ddl/faqkeys.html
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Its all good, 'till you get pulled over by a rookie officer in Podunk, CA, who doesnt like even 12 year old BMWs.(in his mind, BMW+canadian ID = where is the pot hidden in this car.)

Id say to contact the CHP, hypotheticaly, and see if there are any concerns or requirements, for a canadian vehicle, IDP aside, in the state of CA.

keep the canadian plates, you will be fine. i have been in a similar situation to what you were describing, it wasn't an issue. however, your canadian insurance company won't like it if you tell them you still livein canada, and they find out otherwise. all depends how long you will be down there.

Quote Originally Posted by Qube
    Let's say hypothetically that I get a job on California. Let's say hypothetically that the company subsidizes everything except the car, and I work on a TN visa. Let's then say hypothetically that I want to bring the e34 to drive there. Do I need new plates? Local insurance? Anyone have any idea... hypothetically? Or should I just hypothetically get a Z4 to drive?
    If you work here in Calif. you will need to get a CA drivers license within 10 days, to drive here legally.
    I would look for a car here unless you know for sure your car will pass Calif. emission testing. As you will have to have it done in order to register it. You also cannot register it without having car insured.
    Get the Z4 !
    If you are bent on bring your car here, I would call the DMV and explain the situation to them. And go from there.

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/
    1991 525i M50 5 Sp.
    N.California

America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, badass speed. -Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast