GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Help - alternator 1/2 removed ('94 530) m:

Default Help - alternator 1/2 removed ('94 530) m:

First of all, I've got both a bentley and the TIS - neither are exactly correct, of course

The problem I'm having is that I cannot seem to get the alternator to clear the oil filter cannister mounting bracket. I've twisted and turned the alternator, but I just cant seem to clear it. Bentley says to move the canister aside - mine mounts differently, and I can only move it 1-2 inches at most, and that is only FORWARD - not to the side as suggested. My next step is to remove the cannister altogether if I don't succeed soon.

The battery is disconnected. I've left the alternator connections attached since I cannot seem to gain access to them without first moving the oil cannister forward. I was hoping to move the alternator enough to gain access to the electrical connections from below.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips - I would greatly appreciate it.
    Beachcomber
    1994 530ia (4/93)
    1997 540ia (7/96)

Default This might help its not the tis or the bentley, its the

fsm...

Quote Originally Posted by Beachcomber
    First of all, I've got both a bentley and the TIS - neither are exactly correct, of course

The problem I'm having is that I cannot seem to get the alternator to clear the oil filter cannister mounting bracket. I've twisted and turned the alternator, but I just cant seem to clear it. Bentley says to move the canister aside - mine mounts differently, and I can only move it 1-2 inches at most, and that is only FORWARD - not to the side as suggested. My next step is to remove the cannister altogether if I don't succeed soon.

The battery is disconnected. I've left the alternator connections attached since I cannot seem to gain access to them without first moving the oil cannister forward. I was hoping to move the alternator enough to gain access to the electrical connections from below.

If anyone has any suggestions or tips - I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks Bill.

I was able to free the alternator, but I still can't seem to remove it as illustrated. It almost seems too large to fit between the radiator and the engine.

I think if I could remove the idler/tensioner pully, I'd be able to actually pull the alternator out.

Any other suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Beachcomber
    1994 530ia (4/93)
    1997 540ia (7/96)

Default Sorry, had to watch the last samurai... I thought you had already

followed the earlier instructions, thats why I didn't post them... here is the
    first page where it tells you to take of the idler pulley

Thanks Bill.

I was able to free the alternator, but I still can't seem to remove it as illustrated. It almost seems too large to fit between the radiator and the engine.

I think if I could remove the idler/tensioner pully, I'd be able to actually pull the alternator out.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks Bill - you're a lifesaver! btw, what is the fsm and is it available online anywhere?
    Beachcomber
    1994 530ia (4/93)
    1997 540ia (7/96)

Default fsm = factory service manual.....

Thanks Bill - you're a lifesaver! btw, what is the fsm and is it available online anywhere?

Unregst.-ryan roopnarine Guest

how do you get the microfiche onto the internet so fast bill? i take it that's the only way to get the service manual pages? euro specification fiche?

Default I'm just a speedy kinda guy...

actually the fsm has been on cd for the last 8 years or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Unregst.-ryan roopnarine
    how do you get the microfiche onto the internet so fast bill? i take it that's the only way to get the service manual pages? euro specification fiche?