GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Earl Scheib

Default Earl Scheib

Has anyone used these guys lately? Maaco? The $29.95 days are long gone but for a bit over $200 Earl will paint a car.
    I don't expect greatness, just shiny without runs or too much overspray.
    Is this too much to ask?
    No, it's not for my 5er.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Never seen shiny come out of earl scheib. Had a mercury zephyr once that they worked on. If you are covering rust spots, it'll work for about a year, until the paint wipes off.

Had the same "paint comes off" problem with my old benz. Didn't look half bad until it started coming off. They charge so little because they don't do proper prep/sanding work to make the paint stick for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by colo525i
    Had the same "paint comes off" problem with my old benz. Didn't look half bad until it started coming off. They charge so little because they don't do proper prep/sanding work to make the paint stick for a long time.
    My friend had a mid 90s jeep cherokee that his parents had painted blue, the paint started coming off like mad and guess what was underneath? Untouched shiny red paint!

Yeah, they don't do ****, they just spray it on and go.
    Waste.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

I've seen them paint over bird ****!

We have experience with Maaco paint job... three total. First one was a cheap job... $200 and that one lasted super long time until we gave the car away. Shiny okay but no fade or peel. Oldsmobile

Then we did one on Caddy... more expensive job... about $600 worth. Since the car was pretty much outside all its life, the paint faded in about 5 years. and we had the job done again by a body shop afterward for twice the amount of money... and yet still the clear peeled off in 5 years so we gave the car away after a while.

We had a 190E MB do the same job.. about $600 with some body repair and that one actually lasted like 9 years until the paint started to fade... It faded to something like heavy oxidation. I was able to reshine the car with red tutle wax heavy duty polish... it shine okay but not like clearcoat shine. Then we sold that car...

So the story with Maaco? Okay job without spending too much money. Expect about 5 years life out of it... since they chemically etch the original paint, their paint holds well.

I had a $2500 job done on my other Mercedes... beautiful job but the body rust took over and bubbled up in several places after 4 years. I took care of the rust and tried to color match it with whatever I can get... sold the car.

If you really want to do a decent job and handy, I'd highly recommends you do the prep works... rust and all... sand the car down (not to bare metal unless you are talking about rust), prime the car and then drive the car down to the paint shop who are willing to work with you and let them prep your car further and shoot the paint... You probably can get them to shoot it for $700 or so.

Ack... if you are too cheap.. then you can try the rustoleum $50 paint job as shown on an internet website... do a search.

Thanks guys for bringing me back to earth. The E30 I bought has a horrible paint job that won't buff out(probably Earl), so I am looking for a cheap way out.
    That rustoleum sounds interesting. If I do it I will have to learn about posting photos.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Try the Turtle Wax Heavy Duty Polish (Red) paste... buff with a machine.

and mud, seen it peel off and old paint under it was shineyer

Quote Originally Posted by mikeythekidd
    I've seen them paint over bird ****!
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast