GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 0W-30, 0W-40, 15W-50......I'm lost

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L
    Better car? Wider tires? Doesn't tell you anything important? Every part (small or large) is a factor on car or oil. Wider tires mean better handling. Don't you agree? Higher flash point means higher resistant before it turns to vapor. Don't you agree?
    Okay, lets break this down. A lotus Elise has little 205 section tires, a Hummer H2 has 315 section tires, so the Hummer handles better right!!! According to your logic it does. A single fact in a vacuum tells you nothing.

In the case of flash point, it tells you nothing except the tempurature that the oil has to be heated until it puts off enough vapors for them to ignite when a flame is held over the oil. It is, quite frankly the most meaningless number for oil specs.

The number that tells you how much an oil is likely to vaporize is the NOAK Volitility Number. This tells you when oil is heated to a certain tempurature for a certain length of time, how much in percent of the oil boils (turns to vapor) off. Good Noak numbers are below 8%, although the API allows up to 15% for SL rated oils.

If you are looking for good quality oils, you should be looking for the Europe Approvals. Good Ones to look for:

ACEA A5 (Long life thin oils)
    ACEA A3 (Long Life heavier oils; BMW-LL spec and Mercedes 229 spec oils are all A3 Rated)
    Mercedes 229.3 and/or 229.5

API ratings are basically meaningless and very low standards.

Cary
    BMW LL-98 and/or LL-01

Rick L Guest

Default ????

Nice logic?!?! So you never heard of people upgrading their RIMS+TIRES for better performance? Hummer H2 does have wide 315 but they are 70 tall compare to 40 or 45 for Lotus. I'm sure if you put some low profile and even wider tires on a Hummer H2, it would handle better than before... But why would you want to? They are two completely different autos for different use. O.K. it is hard to compare 0W-40 to 15W-50 since they are different and used for different reasons. But why would you want to use Mobil 1 15W-50 if Mobil 1 0W-40 outperforms in almost all category? Plus, BMW service manager from two different dealer DON'T recommend 15W-50 for E34 M50 or M20 here in Chicago, specially in winter. I wouldn't use 15W-50 on my E34 M50 unless I live in very hot climate. I have upgraded to Mobil 1 0W-40 few months ago and my car runs better and I don't have the annoying lifter noise during start-up anymore. Like many things, OILS DO GET BETTER AND IMPROVE WITH TECHNOLOGY.

[QUOTE=Unregistered]Okay, lets break this down. A lotus Elise has little 205 section tires, a Hummer H2 has 315 section tires, so the Hummer handles better right!!! According to your logic it does. A single fact in a vacuum tells you nothing.

Unregistered Guest

Rick,

Please show me you really aren't that dense!!!

The topic was raised about oil flash point relating to the quality of an oil. I explained that it really tells you nothing, similar to how the width of a tire tells you nothing about the handling of a car, much less the quality the tire or car that it placed.

You responded that "Wider tires mean better handling. Don't you agree?" I then explained, that no, wider tires do not automatically mean better handling and cited an extreme example as evidence to support my example. I will remind you again we are discussing the concept of taking one fact in a vacuum. You then turn around and start in on a diatribe concerning aspect ratios, rims, and then about oil quality and weights.

I would suggest you go back and reread the thread, as it seems as if the cold weather in Chicago has done more than make your oil thick. Hopefully after a couple of more readings you will grasp my original post and explanation. Just in case you don't, I would suggest if you want to continue this discussion that you keep in mind the quote "it is better to be silient and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

Cary

Default Hey, I am wearing a t-shirt right now with that statement on it!

It is attributed to Mark Twain.

Cool!!

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Rick,

Just in case you don't, I would suggest if you want to continue this discussion that you keep in mind the quote "it is better to be silient and thought a fool, than to open your mouth and prove it."

Cary

Unregistered Guest

Thanks for providing who the quote was, never knew it was the amazing Samual Clemens.

Rick L Guest

Default ????

Right? You must think you know it all, "Cliff" or Cary. Silient? What's that? If you write in English, maybe I could understand it! Sorry if I offended your superior knowledge. I though this was a discussion forum? If I wanted an advice from one person, I'll read a book. You have a nice day!

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Rick,

Please show me you really aren't that dense!!!

The topic was raised about oil flash point relating to the quality of an oil. I explained that it really tells you nothing, similar to how the width of a tire tells you nothing about the handling of a car, much less the quality the tire or car that it placed.

You responded that "Wider tires mean better handling. Don't you agree?" I then explained, that no, wider tires do not automatically mean better handling and cited an extreme example as evidence to support my example. I will remind you again we are discussing the concept of taking one fact in a vacuum. You then turn around and start in on a diatribe concerning aspect ratios, rims, and then about oil quality and weights.

I would suggest you go back and reread the thread, as it seems as if the cold weather in Chicago has done more than make your oil thick. Hopefully after a couple of more readings you will grasp my original post and explanation. Just in case you don't, I would suggest if you want to continue this discussion that you keep in mind the quote "it is better to be speak you mind and thought a fool, than to listen mouth and prove it."

Cary

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L
    Right? You must think you know it all, "Cliff" or Cary. Silient? What's that? If you write in English, maybe I could understand it! Sorry if I offended your superior knowledge. I though this was a discussion forum? If I wanted an advice from one person, I'll read a book. You have a nice day!

Looks like you decided to prove it. It's rather pathetic that you have reduced yourself to chasing after typo's instead of addressing the topic.

Cary

Default 0W40 Mobil one is better

Like Rick said in almost all catagories.

As I understand flash point, thats the point of flamability which doesnt mean much other than the additives wont boil off as quickly as a lower flashpoint rating making the oil last longer between changes if you can keep it clean. Basicly it would be pretty hard to wear out the oil.

I say you live at the Equator where its real warm all year long then I would probably say go with the 15W50 but since most of us don't I would recommend the 0W40 as an all year oil.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

freezin ass cold WI formerly freezin ass cold MN

Man, you stay off the board for day and and the guests start fighting with each other over oil grades. Cool. I want Dick's T shirt and I use 0w-40 all year round.
    95 540 six speed, Rondell 58 wheels, nothin else special
    79 911 SC - pea soup green

Unregistered Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Like Rick said in almost all catagories.

As I understand flash point, thats the point of flamability which doesnt mean much other than the additives wont boil off as quickly as a lower flashpoint rating making the oil last longer between changes if you can keep it clean. Basicly it would be pretty hard to wear out the oil.

I say you live at the Equator where its real warm all year long then I would probably say go with the 15W50 but since most of us don't I would recommend the 0W40 as an all year oil.
    See my above post about flashpoint, it does not relate to additive burnoff, NOAK Volitility does.

I absolutely agree, that in a Tropical Climate 15w-50 would be a fine choice, but unnecessary.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast