GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Air Conditioning Control Removal

Default Air Conditioning Control Removal

Do i need to extract the entire plastic frame housing this control and the radio and the OBC just to remove the climate control block so i can change the light bulb? I gave up when it wouldn't come out far enough to work on. I hoped i could open it and swap the bulb without having to remove the cables or hoses or wires or whatever connects to the back i was afraid i'd never remember what went where but while i got it out part of the way from its place it just wouldn't slip out the rest of the way no matter how much i stretched the plastic opening and pulled. I didn't want to break anything. Do i need to take some molding and panels off ?
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

I'm going to do the same thing to replace the bulbs this weekend. The instruction I found just mention to remove the radio and unclip the control from the frame through radio hole. Keyword for search is "climate control".

What kind of bulbs are you getting to replace? Can I find replacement bulb at Pepboy or Kragen (I'm in California)?

Quote Originally Posted by Jehu
    Do i need to extract the entire plastic frame housing this control and the radio and the OBC just to remove the climate control block so i can change the light bulb? I gave up when it wouldn't come out far enough to work on. I hoped i could open it and swap the bulb without having to remove the cables or hoses or wires or whatever connects to the back i was afraid i'd never remember what went where but while i got it out part of the way from its place it just wouldn't slip out the rest of the way no matter how much i stretched the plastic opening and pulled. I didn't want to break anything. Do i need to take some molding and panels off ?
    94' AlpineWhite 530i, 5 spd Auto, 112K miles, Mfg in 4/93

I was only able to find the bulbs for this baby at a BMW Dealership. It was like $1.50 a 12V 1.5W bulb with a black plastic base.Thanks for the tip. I tried searching a few terms and came up with nothing. If i have to unhook the plugs i guess that means disconnecting the battery.I have to do the 3 watt engine temp guage bulb on the Cluster too but i think those can be found at most autoparts shops. They are all glass no plastic base plug which i guess is a more design specific thing .
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95

Simply pop off the plastic cover running down the left-hand side of the console and insert a small screwdriver in the hole in the side and the dials just slip out. if yours is the electric version then just unplug the connector, if its got steal cable line attached the unhook like bicycle brakes.

Thanks for the bulb info. Here is the link with some pictures. I hope this helps.

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...nel_lights.htm

I was only able to find the bulbs for this baby at a BMW Dealership. It was like $1.50 a 12V 1.5W bulb with a black plastic base.Thanks for the tip. I tried searching a few terms and came up with nothing. If i have to unhook the plugs i guess that means disconnecting the battery.I have to do the 3 watt engine temp guage bulb on the Cluster too but i think those can be found at most autoparts shops. They are all glass no plastic base plug which i guess is a more design specific thing .
    94' AlpineWhite 530i, 5 spd Auto, 112K miles, Mfg in 4/93