GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: KYB Strut Boots

Default KYB Strut Boots

I have question for anyone running KYB strut inserts in front. Did you use the stock dust boots with the KYB inserts or did you use the KYB universal boots? I

I'm waiting on my KYBs and Eibachs to show up. I ordered a couple of new stock boots, but I'm now wondering if I should have ordered the KYB boots.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

1994 e34 530i Eibachs/KYB
    0 miles on new windshield

the oem dust boot will pretty much go over any replacement strut. It is connected to the bump stop. Unless the KYB boot can fit over the bump stop you are better off using the stock boot. Stock boot replacement is pretty cheap if they are broken. You should get new bump stop anyways. Bump stop is usually falling apart.
    95 M-sport SOLD now NSX

Quote Originally Posted by Vanguard
    I have question for anyone running KYB strut inserts in front. Did you use the stock dust boots with the KYB inserts or did you use the KYB universal boots? I

I'm waiting on my KYBs and Eibachs to show up. I ordered a couple of new stock boots, but I'm now wondering if I should have ordered the KYB boots.
    I installed a set of KYB cartridges yesterday and used the KYB boot/bumper. They are a really tight fit over the strut shaft. You can push it on before installation, but once it is in the strut housing you cannot bottom out the strut to do this. I had to use the bearing plate and top nut to push it on.

Great struts for the money! The improvement in handling over the old Boge's is amazing!

Some pointers from my job:

1. The instructions in the maintenance page on bmwe34.net are great!
    2. Get a set of bump stops in advance. I didn't and ended up reusing my old onse which are more rust than metal. No doubt I will be doing this again to replace those!
    3. To get the top nut off, I had to grab the strut shaft up at the bump stop with vise-grips and turn the 19mm nut with a good socket.
    4. I can almost guarantee you will need a good sized pipe wrench to get the collar off the strut housing!
    Last edited by IN10CT; 04-30-2007 at 08:05 AM.

Thanks for the information. I completed my install two weekends ago. I ended up using a new set stock dust shields.

I'm very happy with the ride. It's a great improvement over the worn-out stock units. I find it to be firm without being too harsh as others have reported. As you said Whit Lowell's instructions are the best and were key to a successful job.
    www.universal5.com
    Orange Tool Forum
    San Diego, CA

1994 e34 530i Eibachs/KYB
    0 miles on new windshield