GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: Which camber plate to get?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ground Controls --$299

0 0%
  • IR --$150

1 33.33%
  • Some other e28/e30 camber plate

0 0%
  • Just leave it stock

2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I get a set of camber plates?

Default Should I get a set of camber plates?

As a little background, I had my Konis installed about 1.5 years ago. From pretty much day one one of the shocks was leaking, in addition the shock mount was slowly giving away, could be a coincidence. But now the driver front shock leaks at an unacceptable rate.

Should I go ahead and get camber plates as well? Right now I autocross my car and the tires don't have enough camber. But eventually I will buy a second car and keep this as a daily.

Ground control:

IR plates:
    FS: PBR Deluxe rear brake pads [new]

Get the fixed Ireland Engineering plates.

You'll find the extra camber really improves the turn in. Some minor impact on edge wear.

I've had mine (adjustable) for years - love them. Only thing I would do different is get the fixed ones as I have never adjusted mine once in.

Be sure to swap in the 3mm front spring pads at the same time to offset the impact of the added thickness of the plate.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Right now I wouldn't mind the extra wear on the inside of the tire.

How much camber do you have now, and are you maxing them out?

The adjustable Ireland Engineering plates add a bit more camber. Plus I need new mounts anyway, so might as well as go for the better ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff N.
    Get the fixed Ireland Engineering plates.

You'll find the extra camber really improves the turn in. Some minor impact on edge wear.

I've had mine (adjustable) for years - love them. Only thing I would do different is get the fixed ones as I have never adjusted mine once in.

Be sure to swap in the 3mm front spring pads at the same time to offset the impact of the added thickness of the plate.

I bought the IE fixed ones but have yet to install them. When you purchase new strut mounts, as you suggested you are going to do, the price is nearing towards a set of adjustables anyway.

Invalid poll, no who is Winfred option.

the ground control plates look real nice.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Where is Winfred anyway?

Found some UUC ones which are supposed to retain the stock ride height, 350 though :-O

Default Couldn't tell ya..

All the plates have the same physical limit: The top of the spring hat can only move so far over in the strut tower. The IE's pretty much have the hat over as far as it will go. After that, you have to start to change the lower geometry with different mounts or bending the strut base.

Here's a few things I can share after likely about 30k miles with the plates installed.

- change in the inner/outer wear in day to day driving is minimal. My tires wear nice and even.
    - marginal improvement on track days on outer edge scrub. It was better but I would still kill the outer 1/3 of the tire.
    - significant improvement in turn-in. Love that.

If you need new mounts, you have some options at the mounts are about $80 a pop.

My setup is currently this:

Dinan Springs (about 1" drop in the nose)
    RD sways
    IE cambers
    +1 rims

Car's tight and corners well. I can stay with E36 M3's on the track in momentum corners (they power out much better than me but we have similar stick).

Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Anton CH.
    Right now I wouldn't mind the extra wear on the inside of the tire.

How much camber do you have now, and are you maxing them out?

The adjustable Ireland Engineering plates add a bit more camber. Plus I need new mounts anyway, so might as well as go for the better ones.
    Bellevue WA
    90 535iM - not much stock remains. 3.7 liters, ported head, cammed, 3.73 diffy, M5 brakes, MAFed, yadda yadda yadda
    86 Porsche 951 - Track Toy

Default Anton

It look as though the CG Camber/Caster kits you have pictured won't fit unless you have coilovers fitted. The only option is the Spec E30 Plates at another $100.00 each.

Cheers!

BnZ

K-mac now make some newer deisgn front strut camber plates. I'm thinking the full solid ones would transmit too much road noise, but I don't mind the thought of a solid mount. Noltec don't make a camber plate for my car, so they are out of the question. Any other thoughts about this here?

I was quoted usd$102 each for stock strut mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Boom n Zoom
    It look as though the CG Camber/Caster kits you have pictured won't fit unless you have coilovers fitted. The only option is the Spec E30 Plates at another $100.00 each.

Cheers!

BnZ
    Yup, you are right, they wont fit. They looked very well designed too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast