GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Finally solved the slow oil pressure build-up problem

Default Finally solved the slow oil pressure build-up problem

Well, for once, persistence paid off.

After reading the archives, I suspected that the check valves in the oil filter canister had failed, and were allowing the oil to drain out of the canister after sitting for a while (> 8 hours).

So, I decided to replace the oil filter canister with a salvage canister.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I still had slow oil pressure build-up.

I then suspected that I might have a "weak" oil pump. The thought of replacing the oil pump sent shivers up and down my spine, so I decided to try another, different oil filter canister first.

I had my eye on Bruno's new home made oil filter canister kit.

But, being the slow learner that I am, I ordered another salvage canister - this time from Vines. This one showed up with no check valves at all!!! They were rotted/corroded out of the canister. Yuck. Vines was understanding, and offered to send a replacement.

Guess what?

It worked!!!

My slow oil pressure build up (on start up) problem is solved.

Thanks to all of the very helpful advice that I received here.

Erick
    91 535iM
    93 RS America

thats good news, even with a weak pump it shouldnt tick/knock only at startup. Glad you figured it out and had enough patience to keep at it to make sure about the check valve. Does the check valve look like a servicable part or an all inclusive item?
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    ...Does the check valve look like a servicable part or an all inclusive item?
    Thanks Jeff,
    No, it appears that the check valves are not serviceable... I think that they are part of the canister. But I could be wrong...

Erick
    91 535iM
    93 RS America

Default Erick, I'm about to have a spare good cannister.

I have a cannister from a euro(ugh) 7 series m30 with oil cooler. I am waiting on all new hardware from bma.

Should Jeffro & I start including you on all the dumb little attention needs for his car? Last week, we put the maf on his car. It was still kinda weak, but better. I did notice that his fuel pressure at idle fluctuates wildly from 30 to ~51 psi, with vacuum.

Glad you oil problem is resolved.

Martin

Quote Originally Posted by Erick
    Well, for once, persistence paid off.

After reading the archives, I suspected that the check valves in the oil filter canister had failed, and were allowing the oil to drain out of the canister after sitting for a while (> 8 hours).

So, I decided to replace the oil filter canister with a salvage canister.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. I still had slow oil pressure build-up.

I then suspected that I might have a "weak" oil pump. The thought of replacing the oil pump sent shivers up and down my spine, so I decided to try another, different oil filter canister first.

I had my eye on Bruno's new home made oil filter canister kit.

But, being the slow learner that I am, I ordered another salvage canister - this time from Vines. This one showed up with no check valves at all!!! They were rotted/corroded out of the canister. Yuck. Vines was understanding, and offered to send a replacement.

Guess what?

It worked!!!

My slow oil pressure build up (on start up) problem is solved.

Thanks to all of the very helpful advice that I received here.

Erick
    erased due to slander

I've got two "bad" canisters if someone wants to play with them!

Martin, my car is getting "close".... I just need to fix the horn; the radio and climate control lights; the sagging headliner; the rear window switch; the leaking oil pan gasket; and get it painted. Then it will be PERFECT!

On second thought, I think I've got a ways to go....

Keep me posted on what the Martinator and Jeffro are up to!

Erick
    91 535iM
    93 RS America

dammit, i have everything but a canister for a oil cooler set up, the damn canister dissapered from the core i was working on

Quote Originally Posted by Martin in Bellevue
    I have a cannister from a euro(ugh) 7 series m30 with oil cooler. I am waiting on all new hardware from bma.

Should Jeffro & I start including you on all the dumb little attention needs for his car? Last week, we put the maf on his car. It was still kinda weak, but better. I did notice that his fuel pressure at idle fluctuates wildly from 30 to ~51 psi, with vacuum.

Glad you oil problem is resolved.

Martin
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Congrats Erick

I had a similiar problem - I had replaced the sensor and canister - no longer had a low oil pressure problem but still had a flickering low oil pressure light - I swapped the pump as George M said the check valve spring was likely too tight for an old pump, but still had the flickering light - switched to 15/50 mobil and no longer have a problem. Knock on wood - still have to check the spray bar over the cams but I don't wanna mess with it yet - need a break. (the banjo bolts were replaced though)

good luck

jeff

91 535