GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Transmission Stays in Manual Mode?

Default Transmission Stays in Manual Mode?

My 89 535i.. today when I started driving it was apparent that the car was stuck in third gear. I couldn't really explain why then I noticed that the car was in "M" (manual) mode. Its an automatic of course, so I figured I could just press the E button and it would go back into automatic mode.. it didn't. When I press E the display goes off for a moment and M reappears. S doesn't do anything. Tried restarting the car several times, stopped, waited for some time, restarted, same thing. I can manually shift through all the gears smoothly(well, the first three anyway). In D the car stays in third (limp mode??). I tried searching but didn't find anything that specifically details this... No Check Control errors about the transmission, just washer fluid level and brake linings. Does anyone know whats going on?

your either in limp mode or the switch is toasted...thinking more that it's limp mode.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Wouldn't the transmission not allow me to change gears to first, second, third if it was in limp mode? I could drive around all day as it is just shifting manually, of course I won't, but... My switch has always been a little screwy, for a while it was stuck and I could only press down (always in E mode, not a problem). I got it free eventually. Maybe when I was cleaning this morning some cleaner got into the switch, any easy way to check the switch? Or how would I know whether the car is actually in limp mode, it seems strange that it would be in limp mode if theres no transmission error. The car was driven somewhat hard last night (not really, but harder than usual, which is light), which is why I'm concerned. Everything shifted smoothly up to now.

Your car is not in limp mode. It is, as your correctly deduced, in manual mode. In manual mode you will not be able to shift into over-drive. So you will have 4 gears total to work with. My guess is that your switch is constantly closing the manual mode contacts inside. Thus, when you move it to E, you disengage them, the dashboard light goes off, but once you let go, you are again in manual mode. Take the switch out of the console (easy, just pry up carefully.) Now you can open it. There are several tabs that secure the two halves of the body together. Use two small screwdrivers to pry around the tabs and disengage them. Once you slide the two halves of the switch apart you should see three contacts. They are metal spring tabs. Look to see if one is stuck or broken. If all appears well, clean the contacts and reassemble. BTW, you can use the sunroof switch to test the operation of the transmission switch. They are identical to each other minus the drawings on top. HTH

Thanks! Worked.. though I didn't have to clean the contacts. Unplugged the switch and plugged it back in.. and it worked. Now of course I will clean the contacts off when I have a bit more time (they are very dirty though the switch functions normally now), but that was the problem *phew*. Now if only my trunk will open, what a day

excellent call! I like when I learn stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvana19
    Thanks! Worked.. though I didn't have to clean the contacts. Unplugged the switch and plugged it back in.. and it worked. Now of course I will clean the contacts off when I have a bit more time (they are very dirty though the switch functions normally now), but that was the problem *phew*. Now if only my trunk will open, what a day
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I had the exact same problem - stuck in 3rd. Turned out that the switch was gummed up with spilled coffee. (PITA. lots of teeny parts inside) As preventative maintenance, I bought my wife a proper BMW cup holder.