GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: annoying tapping sound update

Default annoying tapping sound update

recap: i asked how to remove the back rest to find the annoying tapping sound (while driving) from the rear panel that is gettin' worse.

525SEI BRIT responded with possible causes, and bill g sent links with pictures how to remove the back rest. thank you guys. saved me tons of time.

now, i managed to removed the back rest, and still couldn't figure out what is that tapping sound; however, i locked in the source (it's in the left rear with metal to metal hitting each other sound). took it to my mechanic today, and he showed me there is a hairline crack in the body (rear-left next to the shock). this is my first encounter with hairline crack in the body of the car.

my mechanic applied some wd-40 on the hairline crack. annoying tapping sound is gone! he said that the possible cause of the hairline crack was due to my aftermarket wheels (20 x 8.5 all corners). i'll be back on his repair shop to monday to get the hairline crack welded before it gets worse per my mechanic's advice.

are bmw e34s prone of hairline cracking of the body? especially near the shocks. anyone have similar experiences?

IMO, 20 inch wheels are way out of spec for this car. I suspect they put a great deal of stress on all of your suspension as well suspension to body mounts. I would fix the crack, inspect the other side for damage. Not sure how the front is impacted. Long term, put smaller wheels on the car.
    Last edited by Russell; 04-06-2007 at 08:13 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

I'm just wondering when they will come up with solid rubber tires so we can run 24's.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Need pics of said vehicle, on said 20s.
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

+ girlfriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Denton
    Need pics of said vehicle, on said 20s.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4ever
    are bmw e34s prone of hairline cracking of the body? especially near the shocks.
    Only when you put 20" wheels on a car designed for 15's.

in response to denton. i don't have camera, and card reader; but, the wheels are Beyern Wheels. Style: Mesh. i used to have 18 x 8s, but the "my wheels are getting small" bug bit me. so i switched to 20inchers. i will try to barrow my neighbor's camera and get some pics.

Quote Originally Posted by BMW4ever
    in response to denton. i don't have camera, and card reader; but, the wheels are Beyern Wheels. Style: Mesh. i used to have 18 x 8s, but the "my wheels are getting small" bug bit me. so i switched to 20inchers. i will try to barrow my neighbor's camera and get some pics.
    I swear to God I'm absolutely curious as to how they look. Expecting the worst but hey, I've only got lowly 17s.
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

don't worry. it's not one of those "dub" wheels, spinners, the one you see on suv's, or bling-bling type of wheels you see on "pimp my ride." i carefully selected these wheels (took me two months to shop and research) as to make sure the "import crowd" and "rice rockets" cannot get these wheels on their cars. well, they can, with wheel adapters if they are really that desperate. in addition, i made sure the design is close to bmw's design as possible. kinda like classic design--not trendy or fad.

Like these? ... Sorry, couldn't resist.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast