GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Cleaned up my M-System II's

Default Just Cleaned up my M-System II's (in preperation of a refinishing)

so its a nice day outside and i have a few hours before i have to be at work and i'm trying to think of something i could accomplish (aside from hanging out here all day long)

I decided that since i brought down one of the M5's wheels to see how well i can 'clean it up' i might as well get started.

Off to the garage i go happily carrying a wheel. Damn, it was a lot dirtier than i thought it was. Also, the clearcoat seemed to be flaking off of the black center of the wheel. "Oh Well", i think to myself, "I'm going to repaint them anyway, lets get to scrubbing!"

After an hour or so of hosing the wheel down with brake cleaner and scrubbing with a toothbrush, old T-shirt, and scotchbrite pad, i must say DAMN. Granted since i took off the clearcoat it doesn't have a 'shine' anymore just the flat black of the paint, but it look 10x better!

One thing i noticed is that the 'silver' color on the lip is paint. I thought it was just the bare metal? I'm thinking about taking all the silver off too and starting totally over. Would this be a bad thing?

Also, there is a bit of rash on the lip that i'm going to try and fix up. I saw the site where the guy did it to his Porsche wheel. So i'm assuming it can be done to a BMW wheel. What worries me though is wouldn't that chip/crumble when you change the tires?

I'll post pics as soon as i can get some, need to get my digi cam back.
    Last edited by TheGeak; 05-04-2004 at 02:57 PM.

I don't know where to start...so won't. Kinda like taking a garden hose to the interior.
    George

George: you'd have to understand that these rims were/are HURT. Before i got them it was a city car so lots of knicks/chips/rashes. Lets hear it, if you've got something to suggest?

Jason was being glib...brake cleaner on wheels as precious as OE T-stars is the kiss of death....will kill the clear coat...or now what's left of it. Also, scrubbing with a toothbrush will kill the paint...like scrubbing with a toothbrush on your car's body. Your best bet at this point is to strip them down, fix the rash, prime, base and clear coat them if you want to make them look close to original. If you don't feel like doing this..a pretty big job...been there...send them out to be refinished...about $100 a wheel. Perhaps it was your intention to strip them. If not you never want to get brake cleaner anywhere near them. Even alloy wheel cleaner is caustic to remove brake dust and will harm clear coat if left on too long....generally anything long than a minute or so.
    George

George: it was my intention to strip them. I'm stripping, cleaning rash, priming, painting, repainting, clear coating. I know its a big job, but its something i've been meaning to do for a while. Also, there wasn't much of the clearcoat left. I found a picture, but you can't see what i'm talking about. I'll snap a picture of one of the other rims. But yea, this wasn't just a 'cleaning' job as much as a 'preperation to refinish'. I guess i should edit that title, didn't realize how it came across to others.

no big deal...you didn't mention you were preparing them for refinishing. I thought you were cleaning the wheels with brake cleaner as a standard practice...lol.
    Good Luck with the refinishing process.
    George

lol yeah, i realized that when i 'reread' my orig. post. DEFINATELY don't use Break Cleaner as 'standard practice' for wheel cleaning.

Default George, I just put a set o OE T-stars on my 525i and

don't know what to use to clean them. I know from posts that anything abrasive is a no-no. How about a something like Simple Green and cotton towels? Is that mild enough?

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by George M
    Jason was being glib...brake cleaner on wheels as precious as OE T-stars is the kiss of death....will kill the clear coat...or now what's left of it. Also, scrubbing with a toothbrush will kill the paint...like scrubbing with a toothbrush on your car's body. Your best bet at this point is to strip them down, fix the rash, prime, base and clear coat them if you want to make them look close to original. If you don't feel like doing this..a pretty big job...been there...send them out to be refinished...about $100 a wheel. Perhaps it was your intention to strip them. If not you never want to get brake cleaner anywhere near them. Even alloy wheel cleaner is caustic to remove brake dust and will harm clear coat if left on too long....generally anything long than a minute or so.
    George

You guys crack me up.....=) I was on the same line as George when Jason said he was "cleaning" his wheels with brake cleaner!

Lol, I knew for sure he would suffer the, "Wrath of Mann".....=)

Jason drew a pretty vivid picture of himself "cleaning" his wheels with a toothbrush and brake cleaner....for goodness sake, don't post this on the Roadfly detail board, you'll give those boys heart failure...

Simple misunderstanding......but so funnnny! Thanks guys, I could use a little laugh today.

Dick, don't let Jason near your TS's.....=)

i should start a T-star cleaning business....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast