GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5HP30 Transmission Filter Change

Default 5HP30 Transmission Filter Change

Okay, so there may be some flaming going on, and opinions that surely differ, but after reading Bill R.'s excellent write up and research on alternate fluids for the 5HP30 transimission, I am going to bite the bullet with Amsoil Universal Synthetic ATF when I do my long overdue filter change tomorrow.

My Amsoil dealer, who fortunately lives just down the street, verified on his dealer section of their web site that this fluid is the compatible fluid for the 5HP30. I have seven litres of fluid, a new FILTRAN filter, O-ring and pan gasket from the dealer and a long weekend ahead to do this job. This stuff is more expensive than the Valvoline or other compatible products, but still probably 1/3 the cost of LA2634 from Crown BMW. I am more comfortable with a niche fluid than a mass market one.

After finishing and test driving, I will do a full write-up.

Thanks to all for their contributions & research on alternate trans fluids!

John
    '95 540iA ~212k

Drill a 1/2" hole on one of the ATF bottle cap... stick in a 1/2" clear tube and you got a injection bottle to fill up the tranny.

Thanks for the tip, Tiger. It sounds like you've done this job already. Any other pitfalls to watch out for? What type of ATF did you use?
    '95 540iA ~212k

Done it? Done it?! I swapped out the valve body. No pitfalls, Just make sure you got the right torx bit... too small will seem like you stripped it, but it is actually you need the bigger one. Other pitfall is the long-ass flat pan = lots of bolts.

Pennzoil MV ATF for 5+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger
    Done it? Done it?! I swapped out the valve body. No pitfalls, Just make sure you got the right torx bit... too small will seem like you stripped it, but it is actually you need the bigger one. Other pitfall is the long-ass flat pan = lots of bolts.

Pennzoil MV ATF for 5+ years.
    I think the torx bit in question is T-27. Got mine from my local Bumper-to-Bumper, which sells S-K tools. There are a lot of crappy bits out there, and 27 is an odd size. The bolts can strip easily, so a good tool is a sound investment, IMO.

Respectfully, I'd go to harbor freight and get a cheap hand pump to transfer the ATF into the pan. Do you really want to use squeeze bottle to move almost 2 gallons of tranny juice? Vertically?

Default Update

Well, thanks to either fat fingering the part number or misunderstanding what I was asking for, the filter that was ordered turned into the oil carrier! The parts guy at Crown tried to tell me that the catalog was incorrect. WTF? Anyway, this project is now postponed until the correct part is received next week.

Lesson learned: Only order parts with the part # from Real OEM.

Tiger, after looking at that "long ass" pan, I think I'm going to pick up an air ratchet at Harbor Freight to spin all those bolts off once I break them loose. I need one anyway. Given that you have 5+ years on your "other" oil, I feel a lot better about not going with the LA2634.

Mr. Graybeard, thanks for the reminder that I do have a fluid pump from doing the differential oil change last year. It's laying around somewhere.

John
    '95 540iA ~212k

No... do not use any power tool. It doesn't take long at all... trust me. As for squeezing fluids into the tranny, it really doesn't take long at all. No need for stupid pumps that will complicates this process. I tried one techniques you guys said... have someone pour ATF into funnel into tube higher than tranny and stick hose on the other end into tranny... well for one guy, that will not work.

Squeeze bottle is so darn easy... 1/2" clear tube makes the process really fast. Each bottle can be 3/4 squeezed into the tranny in 30 seconds... how much faster do you want?

he could also just flip the thing over and pour it right in.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Yeah, I suppose I could just flip it over and pour, but my unflipper is broken
    '95 540iA ~212k

I changed my tranny with Royal Purple MAX ATF. it works. The 14mm hex socket is somewhat of a odd size tool. I got a set of larger hex socket from harbor freight tools.
    95 M-sport SOLD now NSX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast