GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My car is about to get whacky!

Default My car is about to get whacky!

Just ordered 10mm ARP headstuds and a Cometic 0.140" MLS headgasket which will lower the compression from 10.0:1 to ~8.3:1. Right now I am safe to run about a max of 10 psi, which I am doing, on the stock compression. My tuning buddy states that he has run 35 psi on a 8.4:1 motor using a thick MLS headgasket with great results. So, although I don't wish to run 35 psi, it seems that the setup will be good for it. I am going to start out at about 15 or 16 psi and see how she feels, and then go for 20 and see what the increase is. From there I will have to upgrade my MAP sensor.

20 psi should put the car over the 500 hp mark with the right tune.

WHOOOOO HOOOOOOOO! I want some more videos, inside the car and outside.

I want it put together and working by June 9th so I can have a ride in Chicago.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Sounds killer Jon. Can I ask what the metal head gasket cost you ? I've seen the ARP's for sale on the Egay before.
    Reminding everyone.....the 500hp is STILL on his stock internal M50 !!
    As Jon said himself to me once before " I hope it doesent EXPLODENATE" !lol.
    ..............Vinny
    AC Schnitzer | S-5 | Stainless exhaust | Bodykit | wing| 3pc. wheels | badges | springs | mirrors | steerwheel |
    Schwarz on Blk

Quote Originally Posted by Booster
    Sounds killer Jon. Can I ask what the metal head gasket cost you ? I've seen the ARP's for sale on the Egay before.
    Reminding everyone.....the 500hp is STILL on his stock internal M50 !!
    As Jon said himself to me once before " I hope it doesent EXPLODENATE" !lol.
    ..............Vinny
    Vinny I got the MLS from VAC in philly for $229 or whatever. The ARP studs I bought from a retailer I know about $180 or so.

I am getting excited.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Vinny I got the MLS from VAC in philly for $229 or whatever. The ARP studs I bought from a retailer I know about $180 or so.

I am getting excited.
    Excited ?? I can ONLY imagine !! Prepare for a TIRE fund ,lol
    ...........V'
    AC Schnitzer | S-5 | Stainless exhaust | Bodykit | wing| 3pc. wheels | badges | springs | mirrors | steerwheel |
    Schwarz on Blk

is the stock timing chain still going to work???
    Last edited by Dr. evil; 04-05-2007 at 06:01 PM.

bilstin HDs, eiback prokit, K&N instert, DEPO fogs, sound system, zimmerman rotors, metal master

Quote Originally Posted by Jon K
    Just ordered 10mm ARP headstuds and a Cometic 0.140" MLS headgasket which will lower the compression from 10.0:1 to ~8.3:1. Right now I am safe to run about a max of 10 psi, which I am doing, on the stock compression. My tuning buddy states that he has run 35 psi on a 8.4:1 motor using a thick MLS headgasket with great results. So, although I don't wish to run 35 psi, it seems that the setup will be good for it. I am going to start out at about 15 or 16 psi and see how she feels, and then go for 20 and see what the increase is. From there I will have to upgrade my MAP sensor.

20 psi should put the car over the 500 hp mark with the right tune.
    Just remember that lowering compression is going to lower efficiency (especially off boost). You may wind up having to increase boost to 13-14 just to get back to where you are now.

Quote Originally Posted by attack eagle
    Just remember that lowering compression is going to lower efficiency (especially off boost). You may wind up having to increase boost to 13-14 just to get back to where you are now.

Well the off boost I am not worried about - ever drive a VW passat 1.8T? 9.3:1 compression and 1.8L They still drive nicely. Similar scenario since I have the displacement to help. I have been in a few 8.5:1 M50/S50 cars and it's not as bad as you think. People have dyno'd -10 hp on 8.5:1, and that's completely fine.

My effective CR is 16.9:1 at 10:1 static compression and 9 psi. 8.3:1 static takes 11 - 11.5 psi to get back up there, not a big difference honestly. The difference is, however, that I can run more timing and MUCH more boost. I am looking in the vicinity of 16 - 18 psi right off the bat on my Bosch 42# injectors. I have my eye on a set of Siemens 750cc (72#) injectors to support the whacky boost.

no passats, but the relative lack of engine braking at 8.5:1 in my DSM was a big surprise. Absolutely concur that lower compression will let you run higher absolute boost levels and make more power without detonation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast