GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: OK First E34 Problem for me

Default OK First E34 Problem for me

Here's my first problem I need to ask about, and it's pretty serious:

I can't get my freakin' glovebox open all of a sudden. I tried both keylock positions...I never locked it to begin with. It just stuck on it's own...the latch will not budge. Anyone have a solution? I'm pretty torn up over this!
    Washburn
    95 525iT

there are 2 clips on the bottom in the back, you should be able to drop it down a bit and then use a screwdriver to pop the clips holding the front up. Your glove box latch needs replacing, which is about 15 bux from BMAparts.com
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Yeah, I locked my stash in the glovebox by accident once also.........

I'm pretty sure that if you unclip the two retaining clips at the back of the glovebox, where it hinges, you can possibly get your arm and a long screwdriver up towards the latch mechanism. Mine broke and wouldn't open a while back. I just kept hitting it while pulling on the latch.

Had to buy a new one from the stealer. They have to be the worst designed part of an E34.

JD

Default Damn, dude! You beat me to it by one minute!

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    there are 2 clips on the bottom in the back, you should be able to drop it down a bit and then use a screwdriver to pop the clips holding the front up. Your glove box latch needs replacing, which is about 15 bux from BMAparts.com

I suck.

Quote Originally Posted by JD525IA
    I'm pretty sure that if you unclip the two retaining clips at the back of the glovebox, where it hinges, you can possibly get your arm and a long screwdriver up towards the latch mechanism. Mine broke and wouldn't open a while back. I just kept hitting it while pulling on the latch.

Had to buy a new one from the stealer. They have to be the worst designed part of an E34.

JD
    i would dug away thats a bust

Finally go to doing this. What a bitch!! NOT as easy as it sounded.

You can drop the back easy enough, but the latch has two wedges out both sides...you will *never* get those depressed with screwdrivers through the back of the glovebox. Here's the solution:

Remove rear pivot clips as mentioned earlier.
    Pull toward you and wiggle side to side to loosen up a little. Pry downward. You're trying to create a gap at the top of the glovebox door.
    Find Phillips head screws in the gap between the glovebox door and the dash padding. Remove 4 in the center area.
    Pry downward until the sheet metal latch strike plate bends out from behind the dash where it had been fastened by those screws.
    Now you can get two screwdriver to depress the latch wedges on both side of the lock. Door will pop open.
    Using flatbar, bend sheet metal latch strike and tuck it back behind the dash - re-attached with screws previously removed.

Not a fun job!
    Washburn
    95 525iT

Quote Originally Posted by AutoXr
    Here's my first problem I need to ask about, and it's pretty serious:

I can't get my freakin' glovebox open all of a sudden. I tried both keylock positions...I never locked it to begin with. It just stuck on it's own...the latch will not budge. Anyone have a solution? I'm pretty torn up over this!
    Now THAT's funny.... stuck glovebox is "serious"....

Buddy, welcome to the E34. A stuck glovebox won't be your only E34 problem.

Yeah, I know my day is coming! I bought it three years ago with only 60,000 on the clock, and this is first problem I've really had. I do have the front end shimmy though, and I'm ordering thrust arms from BMA. The freakin' glovebox was probably more work than those will be to change out. Should be an easy fix...hope it works!
    Washburn
    95 525iT

I hope the glovebox is more work than the front end stuff. I just replaced my microfilter this week. And putting the glove box back together was a pain, I didn't know how to get the stupid thing lined up to match the dash. But at least it's just time consuming, nothing that require skills. I can tell wherever the car was serviced at before, the people who replaced the microfilter did not take their time putting **** back together right.

After you have it clipped in place and latched closed, dive under there and unsnap the clamp brackets while supporting the weight. Move it around until it looks right, re-snap the clamps.
    Washburn
    95 525iT