GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Think this seat was a little bit twisted?

Default Think this seat was a little bit twisted?

Default there is a latch that slipped off the track

take off the back cover.
    towards the bottom of each side, there is a piece of metal about 3-4 inches long with a notch/slot cut in it. I believe what happened was that the piece's notch slipped off of what it was sitting on. - I know this description isn't clear as I did this 3 years ago; but compare one side to the other side to see what the notch was latched onto.

you push/slide it back onto the latch - may require another set of hands to help work the latch as you push. I struggled with it by myself. after you're done, you will think how simple it was.

Default Not quite Mike... It was the cable that drives the recline mechanism, I just

did the usual, remove the e14 torx bolts holding the seat track down in the back of the floor, tilt the seat up 20 degrees from the back and slide it forward off the hooks in front, then tilt the front of the seat up and lay the back of the seat down on the back seat so I can get under the seat to the drive motors. The second motor back from the front controls the recline mechanisim. I unbolted the cable from the passenger side, hooked a drill up to the cable and spun it until the seat was even. Then i pulled the cable out of the housing, pulled the end off the housing and cut just under a 1/2 off the housing length, put it back together so now the drive cable sticks out of the housing further and reassemble. Seat now works fine...

Quote Originally Posted by mike wong
    take off the back cover.
    towards the bottom of each side, there is a piece of metal about 3-4 inches long with a notch/slot cut in it. I believe what happened was that the piece's notch slipped off of what it was sitting on. - I know this description isn't clear as I did this 3 years ago; but compare one side to the other side to see what the notch was latched onto.

you push/slide it back onto the latch - may require another set of hands to help work the latch as you push. I struggled with it by myself. after you're done, you will think how simple it was.

Er, umm......Bill, isthatyourcar? =)

i like your customers, mine don't bring em in till the seat is a totally unuseable block of ****, we get a few fixable seats but the owners don't seem to know the meaning of no, about half need to be worked on the just get em out of the car, that hook thing sucks
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default Nope Jr, same color interior but mine is in much better shape and the exterior on

this one is that pale blue color, mine's bronzit beige.... but his paints in better shape than mine... also his is a 525 m20 and mines a 535.... I'll stick with mine.... See the blue on the door edge....

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    Er, umm......Bill, isthatyourcar? =)

I was bein' a little onery, actually Quentin made me do it...=)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    ... i pulled the cable out of the housing, pulled the end off the housing and cut just under a 1/2 off the housing length, put it back together so now the drive cable sticks out of the housing further and reassemble. Seat now works fine...
    Bill,

What does cutting the 1/2" do? I understand that the cable is not engaging the motor, but don't understand how shortening the cable will allow it to engage? I had my seat apart last week to fix a twist but don't understand the cutting. Do you just cut the outer black cable and not touch the inner metal twisty thing?

Thanks for the help.

Best,
    Rory

<Insert list of modifcations or clever saying here>

Default Rory, what i suspect is happening is that that inner cable is a

twisted cable and I think its twisting tighter when you hit the end of travel, over time i think it twist tight enough that it gets shorter, then not as much sticks out of each end of the outer jacket, which doesn't leave enough sticking out to engage in the socket in the motor or the socket in the other end , take your pick... I have heard other theories that the material used for the black outer jacket swells as it ages , lengthening causeing the same result... Either way by pulling the inner cable out, then pulling the little steel end off the jacket and cutting the jacket shorter then putting the cable back in ,,etc etc.. End result more cable sticks out of the jacket engaging in the drive sockets in the motor and gearbox end...

Quote Originally Posted by Rory
    Bill,

What does cutting the 1/2" do? I understand that the cable is not engaging the motor, but don't understand how shortening the cable will allow it to engage? I had my seat apart last week to fix a twist but don't understand the cutting. Do you just cut the outer black cable and not touch the inner metal twisty thing?

Thanks for the help.

Best,
    Rory

Its true, its ALL Quentin's fault. Everything!

Geoff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast