GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing 535i badge

Default Removing 535i badge

I want to remove the badge from the trunk lid. Anyone know the easiest way?

Hammer and chisel or chainsaw.

Why on earth would you want to remove the 535 off the back of your fine automobile. You have one of the coveted few E34's out there short of the M5 and you want to make people think it is what....a debadged 525?

Be proud.
    Mike Holbrook
    Meridian, Idaho
    1992 535im, 17", Euro M5 Throwing Stars 8's & 9's, FK-451 235/45s & 255/40s, M5 Sway Bars 25/20, Conforti chip, Lowes Ram Air, glass sunroof

Default Dental Floss is the easiest and least damaging method

Bmw says to use nylon string or yarn coated with dishwashing detergent to saw through the adhesive holding it to the body... Dental floss works as good or better with detergent...

Quote Originally Posted by jjg43
    Last edited by Bill R.; 05-04-2004 at 09:48 AM.

Default I have removed mine

I like the clean trunk lid, that's all

Quote Originally Posted by mholbrook
    Hammer and chisel or chainsaw.

Why on earth would you want to remove the 535 off the back of your fine automobile. You have one of the coveted few E34's out there short of the M5 and you want to make people think it is what....a debadged 525?

Be proud.

Default First, I gently pried mine enough to get a...

razor blade in there. Then cut the remaining adhesive with the blade followed by a polish. Wasn't easy but the dental floss method Bill mentioned might be easier. Since the emblem had been glued on for so many years the paint underneath it was still like new so you will see a contrast in color between this and the rest of the trunk. You may have to repaint the panel if the contrast stands out too much. It's up to you.

Removing the emblem is kinda in here So Cal. Many Suburban owners remove theirs to make the vehicle look cool giving it a bit of a simplistically aggressive look. This also rids the vehicle of any tacky advertising. This is catching on with car owners as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jjg43

Or as I did by accident. Needed to get to the cabinet in front of the resting place in the garage so had to push the car back just a little,4hours later (end of day) forgetting that I had pushed it back just a smidge hit the garage door button and heard the garage door motor laboring only to find the door resting on top of the rear bumper and the '535' and seperate 'i' on the floor . I have yet to reinstall them, but ABSOLUTELY they will go back on.
    Mike

mikey535im...........1991 535im , Schwarz , H&R/Boge gas ,17" Style 10's , EAT Chipped :eek: Colorful Colorado

One thing i might suggest is to either do it on a VERY warm day after letting the car sit in the sun for a little while, or hitting it up with a hair dryer. eases up the glue a big. You'll also want something to get ride of the gunk thats left on the car. There are a few 'goo-be-gone' style products out there that should work wonderfully.

As for the reason, i have my M5 debadged. Why? 1) Thieves. I dont' want to advertise that i have a specialty BMW. Its bad enough with them just knowing i have a BMW. (bastards stole my roundels 2 or 3 times) 2) I think it gives the trunk lid a 'cleaner' look. So long as you don't go sticking a M5/540/Dinan/Schnitzer badge on there I'm fine with debadging. No where on the outside of my car does it say M5. I don't even have the ///'s. I like the sleeper look.

Default Left my badge off after repaint. Personal preference.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott H
    I like the clean trunk lid, that's all
    erased due to slander

Theft is a good reason.

I remember an acquaintance of mine ragging on me about removing the emblem because he thought I wanted people to believe I had an M5 or 540 when he thought I had a less powerful bimmer. Presumptuous maybe? Nah...

I used a guitar string, it went through like butter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast