GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what to do about my clutch

Default what to do about my clutch

at high speeds it grinds shifting into fifth. a couple weeks ago, i was trying to impress a girl. i know, i know. i deserve what i get. anyway, i burned up my clutch. so now it does the fifth grinding.

so i ordered a lightweight flywheel and m5 clutch from uuc. i figure since i'm getting the supercharger, i should upgrade.

my question is: do i need to replace the pressure plate as well? i don't think that is coming in the kit i purchased... i think it's just the flywheel and the m5 clutch. i've been known to be wrong, though. their website is kinda hard to navigate. i can never find the page i'm looking for. i'll call and ask, and if it does come in the kit, then kickass.

and before i get back to school from lunch, maybe you'd like to hear about the rest of my coming mods:

eibach/bilstein sport suspension, rd sway and stressbars, and some cosmetics i'll show off when they get installed.

speaking of the supercharger, i'm waiting for vf to confirm that my dme is the exact same as the 3 series counterpart. this is true, right? they don't seem to be in any hurry to get back to me. which is weird because i want to give them a ridiculous amount of money.
    SchwarzII 95 m50b25tu. smoked rear, clear front. bilstein/eibach, uuc flywheel/M5 clutch, RD strut and sway bars. VFE supercharged!!!

I would definitely replace the plate.

.............and the release bearing and pilot bearing.

10/90 Build 525im, 630,000+km, Eibach/Sachs, Engine Rebuild
    *RIP Oskar the DOG *

and rear main seal

crap. i do know i've got the pressure plate coming in the kit. dunno about the other stuff though. i'll have to make another call. thanks for all the help.
    SchwarzII 95 m50b25tu. smoked rear, clear front. bilstein/eibach, uuc flywheel/M5 clutch, RD strut and sway bars. VFE supercharged!!!

A burned clutch and 5th gear grinding are not 100% related problem. You could have an issue with the transmission internals.
    Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"

Such as a synchronizer. I didnt want to say it earlier because i didnt 100% know for sure, but you just confirmed it

Good catch guys. I focussed on his questions rather than the first paragraph. One thing to add about the parts you've ordered. If you ordered a clutch kit it should include a releas ebearing, but not a pilot bearing.

Best be having someone look at the tranny once its out.

Dave

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

well, i've been to the dealer, and i've gotten my clutch kit. goes in tomorrow. now my problem is finding a ride. should be able to swing that ok, though...

anyway, i found out that the kit came with NO bearings, at least i didn't see any in the box. i was in a rush to get to the (titty) bar, so i may have over looked it. that's ok, though because i picked up all those things you mentioned and more at the dealer. so i think i should be ok.

anyway,. thanks for all the help guys. i really appreciate it.

just out of interest, what does a clutch disc and pressure plate cost from the dealer?

*RIP Oskar the DOG *

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast