GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: so what kind of tires are you running?

Default so what kind of tires are you running?

im looking for opinions on 235/45R17 tires. The few im looking into are the Dunlop Direzza, Continental Extreme Contact and the General Exclaim UHP.
    Anyone want to chime in? I picked those mentioned becuase they are all under $100 a piece from tirerack and god good reviews.

Man... dollar for dollar, the General UHP have me.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=Exclaim+UHP

I'm running them and the only other thing I may do is get Avon Tech 550 but that's if I want to run in light snow. I've run them about 30000-35000km last year. Next year I'm going to have to change them.

EDIT: at that cost, your other option are the Sumitomo, and the UHPs have better overall reviews by far.
    :: HIDCanada.com | Illuminating Your World

they must be good. theyre on backorder till april 10th.

$100 a piece? Thats a pretty good deal on the tire, but do you have a decent place to get them installed? I found some nice deals on tire-rack, but no installers would touch them for less than $30 a tire, and then you get a crappy warranty (have to mail the tire back).

On tire brands, I went with the BFG TA/KDW. I got KDW2s for the rear and the original KDW on the front (don't know why, but I didn't complain). They're meant for when I take the E34 to the track, which I have yet to do (except for some 1/4 mile runs). I'll let you know how they perform under load.

Driving around town, they've been pretty good. Good traction, a little noisey. Can't comment on wear since I just bought them < 2k miles ago. No noticable problems in wet weather. AWESOME agressive tread pattern on the KDW2s.

I ended up purchasing mine at Costco for around $150 a tire (including promotion they had at the time). A cheaper alternative is the BFG gforce sport, which can be had installed for around $120 a tire.

While Costco may not have the best trained techs, if you can manage to find a non-retarded tire installer, their warranty is awesome. You get a nail in a high performance tire, and they replace the tire, no questions asked (at least this is what I've been told). Haven't used it in practice though.
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

BFG GeForce Sports, and i'm damn happy with them. I've run Kumho 711's and ASX's for the past 3 yrs, and i couldn't have chosen a better tire for the money. $113 a pop for the BFG's, and they stick better, are quieter, last longer, and don't flatspot like the Kumhos do.
    1995 540iA M-Sport - 76k miles. 1 of 1 auto AW3 cars.
    1995 540i/6 - Misc Parts donor for above.

Quote Originally Posted by DanDombrowski
    $100 a piece? Thats a pretty good deal on the tire, but do you have a decent place to get them installed? I found some nice deals on tire-rack, but no installers would touch them for less than $30 a tire, and then you get a crappy warranty (have to mail the tire back).

On tire brands, I went with the BFG TA/KDW. I got KDW2s for the rear and the original KDW on the front (don't know why, but I didn't complain). They're meant for when I take the E34 to the track, which I have yet to do (except for some 1/4 mile runs). I'll let you know how they perform under load.

Driving around town, they've been pretty good. Good traction, a little noisey. Can't comment on wear since I just bought them < 2k miles ago. No noticable problems in wet weather. AWESOME agressive tread pattern on the KDW2s.

I ended up purchasing mine at Costco for around $150 a tire (including promotion they had at the time). A cheaper alternative is the BFG gforce sport, which can be had installed for around $120 a tire.

While Costco may not have the best trained techs, if you can manage to find a non-retarded tire installer, their warranty is awesome. You get a nail in a high performance tire, and they replace the tire, no questions asked (at least this is what I've been told). Haven't used it in practice though.

i duno where the hell u get tired mounted and balanced but around here its about $10 a wheel. The mounting is free but the weights are what you pay for. i work at a auto store so i can have one of the guys mount and balance my wheels for $20.

i was interested in getting the KDW's, glad to hear that your experience has been positive so far.

Quote Originally Posted by markus
    im looking for opinions on 235/45R17 tires. The few im looking into are the Dunlop Direzza, Continental Extreme Contact and the General Exclaim UHP.
    Anyone want to chime in? I picked those mentioned becuase they are all under $100 a piece from tirerack and god good reviews.
    I've got Pirelli P6000 Powergy's on the front and Continental EC's on the rear. The Powergy's are fantastic in the dry but crap in the wet (which is why the Conti's are on the rear!) The Conti's are a better compromise but lack the dry traction of the Pirelli's.
    Both makes are about £90 fitted.

Pirelli P-Zero Nero
    235/40 in front
    265/35 in rear

I've put 5000 miles on them and I've been impressed.

My wheels are OE M-Parallel 18s.
    1994 540ia|Oxford Green Metallic|Lemforder|KYB in H&R|18" OE Staggered M-Parallel with Pirelli P-Zero

Toyo T1-R
    ^°^ ><((({º>°°

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast