GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what should I look out for when purchasing this vehicle? 1990 535i

Default what should I look out for when purchasing this vehicle? 1990 535i

It's a 1990 535i with 140K miles. I talked him down to $3500. Should I purchase this car? Thanks a lot.

I would definetly want to test drive the thing so you can make sure its not going to fall apart or has serious engine/trans issues. Just about everything else could eventually be replaced. The price IS right.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

yeap, im driving tomorrow to test drive it, and if everything works, i'll be coming home with a new 535i!!!

I'm so excited. Thanks for helping me Jeff.

If I understand correctly, these are one of the most reliable series car right? The E34 535i?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sirius_GTO
    yeap, im driving tomorrow to test drive it, and if everything works, i'll be coming home with a new 535i!!!

I'm so excited. Thanks for helping me Jeff.

If I understand correctly, these are one of the most reliable series car right? The E34 535i?

thanks

Well yes the are reliable.... But like any used car, the engine might be great, but the parts around it fail.

Check these out, because i bought my 90' 535i in January, and have had these replaced. I love cars, and understand them, but these issues made an appearcene.....

1. Heater Core. Turn the heat on full blast after warmed up, and look for any leaks around your feet or any coolant smells. If you smell a hint of anitfreeze, walk away. Heater core replacemnet is $1000-1500.

2. Head Gasket. If you can have the car checked out, do so. Have a compression check done. My gasket blew at 170,000 miles.

3.Transmission. I see that it is an auto..... Check this tranny out. Pull the dip stick while running, if it is brown and not red, think about walking away.

4. Cooling, See if any hoses or thermostat, or radiator has been replaced. These car get warm, so make sure it does not over heat.

5.Idle. If the idle is rough, it REALLY could be A LOT of things, expensive things....

I hope i did not shy you away, but just look out. I could have saved money if i did the work myself, but living in an apartment sucks. I love my 535i, but i have also invested a fair bit into it.

the car was a total piece of crap. I wasted 4 hours driving there and it was nothing as described or pictured. I HATE PEOPLE LIKE THIS! Why can't they just freaking be honest!?

Do they think I will buy it even though it's a POS because I drove 4 hours to see it?

F@#K YOU @$$HOLE!!!!!!!!!!

problems:

need to replace valve gasket, transmission wouldn't shift into reverse, interior smelled like crap, green coolant and low coolant, water pump needed to be replace, and fuel pump as well.

I feel you. I once did the same thing. Got a bank check ready and all, drove 5 hours to look at the car(Toyota Solara) to buy. I paid for the inspection at an Acura dealer as well. The guy described the car as "excellent condition". He said the only thing is that the front windshield was cracked so we negotiated the price based on that. Well, the car didn't smell nice inside. The car has tiny rust spots because it's been parked so for so long. The wheels' finish bubbled up (probably rust underneath). The paint had some chips the size of orange seeds. The wood trims were a little bent and no longer adheres at the corners. It vibrated when I drove it, it vibrated horribly when I brake. The engine wasn't smooth. And the last straw was that I found a receipt for engine test that said 2 cyls were misfiring which I found before I drove, but I asked him after I drove it if the engine had any problems before and he said never.

When I told him all that was wrong with the car and that none of this was disclosed to me. He said that he advertised the car "AS IS". Man, if he did this to someone else he'd probably got his face punched in. "AS IS" just means that there is no warranty after the purchase, but he thought it was a license for him to lie about the condition of the car. Think of it now, I wish I didn't have my family with me, I'd probably demand him to at least pay for gas or lose a couple teeth.

the car was a total piece of crap. I wasted 4 hours driving there and it was nothing as described or pictured. I HATE PEOPLE LIKE THIS! Why can't they just freaking be honest!?

Do they think I will buy it even though it's a POS because I drove 4 hours to see it?

problems:

need to replace valve gasket, transmission wouldn't shift into reverse, interior smelled like crap, green coolant and low coolant, water pump needed to be replace, and fuel pump as well.

We've all been there. Sorry.
    Atlanta, GA/Bloomington, IN, USA

I have found craigs list to be a total sham all the way around. I have sold stuff there and been super honest, get 50 people interested, type directions and details and their all a no sho. better to have loved and lost than to have loved and went to court and lost your house and kids too...luck of the draw. Better luck next time?

problems:

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

You had a hard time on craigslist? I love that site. I have sold 2 cars on it with no problems. Maybe it's your area?

Sorry to hear about your trip for garbabge. I watched a 1990 Audi 100 Turbo Quattro for 2 weeks untill i called. It was at some shady dealership about 2 hours away. I talked 2 two sales men who informed me the car was in FANTASTIC running condition.

The car had a high idle (2000 rpm), the heater motor screamed, leaky turbo seals, and a loud ticking from the exhuast manifold. I turned the car off after i got back from the test drive, and it took three times to get it started again. The body was great, but it was a mess under the bonnet. I was so disgusted by the guy who told me the car was in top shape, i threw the keys back at him and walked off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast