GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Steering issues have me stumped. Help!!!

Default Steering issues have me stumped. Help!!!

So here's my story... I've got an '89 535 and a short time ago the steering started behaving oddly. No adjustments had been made that might have introduced this. Here is what happens:

When turning the wheel through 90 degree corners you can feel the streering go from heavy to light and back again. Then when exiting the turn, the steering does not return to center.

More strangley, sometimes the problem goes away entirely.

I replaced the steering fluid twice and no change. I talked to my mechanic and a wrecker friend and both seemed to suspect the steering pump. I pulled that pulled it apart and replaced the seals. Problem is still there. I then moved my troubleshooting to the steering box. Going through the adjustment instructions on bmwe34.net I discovered that with the car up on stands (wheels off the ground) the steering is not smooth with the engine off. It goes from heavy to light every quarter turn of the steering wheel. This suggests to me that it has nothing to do with the pump.

Could this be a problem with the u-joint between the steering box and the steering shaft? The quarter turn consitency makes me lean towards either the u-joint or the steering box.

Please lend me your collective wisdom!

Quote Originally Posted by IN10CT
    Could this be a problem with the u-joint between the steering box and the steering shaft? The quarter turn consitency makes me lean towards either the u-joint or the steering box.
    I'd bet on the joint. I had a similar problem with an E30. A bargain at $141, accordiing to realoem.com. Hope you can find it that cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard
    I'd bet on the joint. I had a similar problem with an E30. A bargain at $141, accordiing to realoem.com. Hope you can find it that cheap.
    Can someone show me a diagram of the location of this u-joint?
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    Man, you're quick.

How does this U-joint go bad? Seems like a very simple mechanical piece.
    Maybe lube it?
    2008 audi A3 1.9tdi
    (former 1991 520i LPG)

I'm amazed that there's so much night-owl activity on this list. I'm sitting here quaffing a beer at 2 am, but I got off work at 12:30.

Anyway, what happens with the U joint is that some moisture gets into the sealed bearings over 15 years or so and it introduces corrosion. Look at its location.

Oh yeah, some Silikroil might loosen it up briefly, but you need a new part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard
    Oh yeah, some Silikroil might loosen it up briefly, but you need a new part.
    Thanks! I'm going to pull it out tomorrow and see how it looks. I'm kinda steamed at myself for not lifting the car and checking the streering with the engine off. Would have saved me the trouble of ripping the pump apart!

I'll let you all know what I find.

Quote Originally Posted by IN10CT
    Thanks! I'm going to pull it out tomorrow and see how it looks. I'm kinda steamed at myself for not lifting the car and checking the streering with the engine off. Would have saved me the trouble of ripping the pump apart!

I'll let you all know what I find.
    I'm a little late updating thos but the problem was a seized steering column u-joint. I pulled the little bugger out and only one of the pivots would even move. The other could not be moved by hand.

In other new, I also replaced my old Boge strut cartridges yesterday with a set of KYB GR2 struts. The car steers much better in hard corners as the front end is nice and stiff. For an inexpensive strut ($62/each) they work GREAT!