GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chevy = POS; or, How Does Mud Get In My Coolant??

TC535i Guest

Default Chevy = POS; or, How Does Mud Get In My Coolant??

So, the Tahoe's been spittin up coolant lately, even after being parked. Noticed the temp climbing up a bit at a stop today, so decided to check the coolant level, and it was a bit low. Then I noticed the radiator cap had this crap all over it!

Kinda looked like mud, and had a gritty texture to it. WTF?!?! My buddy claims it must be sand from the casting process, I don't even know WHAT to think, but it managed to clog up the hole to the bypass hose, which could have been causing a lot of these problems.

Anybody else have a better guess as to what this crap in the radiator is???

-Tim

orangey lookin ****? that's the wonderful dexcool at work, i had to do the intake gaskets on the bosses 96 350 burban, it was a bitch and those plastic gaskets are a joke, so is that quick connect heater hose thing on the passinger side of the intake
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Same thing happened to our van....flush it out now, it's not good to 150k miles like they advertise. Nothing is.....

GM laid an egg with the dexcool, the shop told me that if I changed it every 30k miles it would be ok.

Heard a lot of horror stories about that stuff such as winfred mentions, sometimes the shop has to do an acid boil to clean up the cooling system. Ours wasn't that bad. The tech at the shop said that the 4.3 litre Blazers were the worst. He'd seen where they could scoop the coolant out with a spoon....

And think, some people run that crap in their BMW's.....=(

Default They call it mississippi mud around here, it doesn't look orange anymore it

looks exactly like sandy gritty mud.. and look in the radiator and its worse just like sludge.. I have changed a couple of radiators on late model big block suburbans along with freeze plugs... Its extremely caustic and like the others say you should flush it out right now... It needs to be a very thorough flush or the same reaction will occur with the new coolant..I would keep flushing the block and radiator over and over with a hose until its only clean water coming out..and then run regular prestone green... Turn the heater on while doing it to get it all out of the heater core or you'll soon find out what heater core leaks are all about on dexcool equipped cars...

Quote Originally Posted by TC535i
    So, the Tahoe's been spittin up coolant lately, even after being parked. Noticed the temp climbing up a bit at a stop today, so decided to check the coolant level, and it was a bit low. Then I noticed the radiator cap had this crap all over it!

Kinda looked like mud, and had a gritty texture to it. WTF?!?! My buddy claims it must be sand from the casting process, I don't even know WHAT to think, but it managed to clog up the hole to the bypass hose, which could have been causing a lot of these problems.

Anybody else have a better guess as to what this crap in the radiator is???

-Tim

TC535i Guest

Wait, so you guys are saying that's just the normal coolant??

Something definitely plugged up the overflow hose, it was a chunk that looked like a mud-rock or something, I could squish it between my fingers, but it had a gritty substance.

Default The excuse that GM claims here is that if the coolant level is low then you

get a reaction with the air in the system and the dexcool and it turns into this nasty gritty sludgy crap......Then they tried to claim that someone mixed a conventional green coolant with a oat coolant like dexcool and this is the reaction that occurred... Whatever the real cause its dexcool at fault, flush it all out of the system and you won't have any more problems unless its already eaten everything up...

Wait, so you guys are saying that's just the normal coolant??

Something definitely plugged up the overflow hose, it was a chunk that looked like a mud-rock or something, I could squish it between my fingers, but it had a gritty substance.

TC535i Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    get a reaction with the air in the system and the dexcool and it turns into this nasty gritty sludgy crap......Then they tried to claim that someone mixed a conventional green coolant with a oat coolant like dexcool and this is the reaction that occurred... Whatever the real cause its dexcool at fault, flush it all out of the system and you won't have any more problems unless its already eaten everything up...
    Sounds like a plan. Any write-ups on flushing out a '97 'Ho effectively? (Vortec head 350, if that matters...) How long am I looking at? Any special equipment / any tricks?

Default Always remove the thermostat before flushing and then I would just

get one of the prestone backflushing kits and splice the tap into a heater hose.. then flush and flush and flush and flush and flush and flush and flush and flush and flush and flush... well you get the idea.... When you see the thermostat you'll probably put a new one in....

Sounds like a plan. Any write-ups on flushing out a '97 'Ho effectively? (Vortec head 350, if that matters...) How long am I looking at? Any special equipment / any tricks?

know of any decent brands of flush solvent? or are they all useless!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    get one of the prestone backflushing kits and splice the tap into a heater hose.. then flush and flush and flush and flush and flush and flush and flush and flush and flush and flush... well you get the idea.... When you see the thermostat you'll probably put a new one in....
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Default The BG products guy claims that his works really

well and he gave me some samples but I haven't had a car to try it on yet..

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    know of any decent brands of flush solvent? or are they all useless!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast