GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: What do you do?

Default OT: What do you do?

Hey guys and gals, I'm looking for some help. I am an apprentice plumber and I no longer enjoy working in the trade and would like to start a different career. I understand that I need to go back to college, what I am doing is looking for ideas for a career I would be good at, so if you guys could help me out, tell me what you do, etc I would greatly appreciate it. Military service is NOT an option for personal reasons.
    Last edited by indierthanthou; 03-25-2007 at 09:55 PM.

Go Army... JK. I became an X-ray tech through the Army, on the civilan side it will take about 2yrs, but you will get paid the second year as a student tech (in most places). I work two sixteens on the weekend only (fulltime student durring the week), support a family of four (myself included).
    Herb

I clean carpets.

But it's just a summer job as I'm a senior in highschool. So I guess it doesn't count.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

I'm a printer but I don't recommend it for anyone young because of technology. One thing I would like to learn and think there is a future in it is wrapping cars. You must be good artist and computer software person also be skilled in placing the film on the cars. It is kind of printing related. Its also a way of working on cars....There is also the old fashioned way.....Marry a rich girl lol

My girl is near the end of her second year at wayne state, shes going to be a high school music director. so she aint gonna be rich...lol, but shes doin what she loves

That's not a bad idea. I'm leaning towards being a paramedic, but I know their hours suck and they dont get paid that great considering what they do. What does an xray tech do?

I know someone who owns a carpet cleaning business...maybe I can see if he could use some help. In michigan there isnt squat for work.

indie:

what do YOU want to do? they say "do what you love and the money will follow". not sure how true it is but find something that you enjoy doing and eventually things will work themselves out.

you could work for a supply house, it's indoor work.

other ideas are nursing - busy, can be a burnout job but the money can be ok. PT/RT/OT assistants do ok also.

If you're really bored you could mow my lawn.

your gf goes to Wayne State? How close are you to Ypsilanti? I had no idea i lived so close...cool.

Yep, Michigan blows...... I work for Pfizer in Ann Arbor, and they are closing down the site.

I am leaving the end of April for Virginia Beach. That state is ranked 3 for the lowest unemployemnt rate....not 50th.

I personally would steer clear of the paramedic scene. I own a computer repair store with a guy that went to paramedics school. He made $18hr as a security guard sitting on his ass. Average paramedic makes $11, to work nights and deal with really draning things, emotinally/physically.

Keep doing the plumbing till you have enough $$$$ to go back to school. Depending on your age, you could get free money to go back. Work full time, go to school at night, then switch careers.

As an x-ray tech I take pictures for the doctor so they can diagnose patients. I get paid very well compared to the work I do, a nurse is higher paid but works their ass off, hourly is between $16 and $45 depending what exactly you do - MRI, CT, Regular, Nuclear Med., Radiation Therapy, Ultrasound.

Rick M is 100% right, I love my job and I am pursuing Medschool/Army Physcian Assistant school because I love to do what I do.

Read "48 days to the Work You Love" By Miller (forgot first name). He has a website if you want to google.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast