GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

View Poll Results: Whaat says you guys?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fix her and keep her since e28s have the chromey retro look

14 66.67%
  • Part her out and save the cash

0 0%
  • Give her to someone that'll care for her... but who...

1 4.76%
  • Fix her and sell her

4 19.05%
  • Go B2 bare metal and build a racing e28 from the shell...

3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Just bought an e28

Default Just bought an e28

Dunno why, I guess I just couldn't help it. I had one a long time ago, this one was a month younger than the previous 6/86, which was an almost identical spec M30/ZF4HP22EH 535i with leather, sunroof and so on.

It was really a do or die situation, if I left her she'd have died. The PO was a kiwi dude who had lost his license and they (the Oz Polizei) took the plates off the car, so he had to have it towed and then left it for three months out the front of his fllat until his landlord gave the car it's final rites- by saying it had to be gone by 5:30pm last Friday.

I found it on eBay and bid. By 11pm the girlfreind and I had it on a tow truck, hours past the deadline so he was pretty relieved but miserbale to see his Bimmer go. The 30km ride home in the dark and she was parked skew-whiff across the driveway with a flat battery... awaiting my attention at daylight.

In the light of day she turned out in a better state than I expected. Mud and water inside the car from terrential sydney summer rains, I was happy to find that the reasons why were all simpler than expected. The rust is minimal but there is more body damage than the pics show. The engine however looks great under what is still a thick coat of dirt that made it look seriosuly questionable in the dark. I'd say someone has spent big money on new parts for her not too long ago.

The leather will need some good massaging and overall a huge clean. I have fixed the broken hoses under the hood (the vent hose fell away in pieces) and the dizzy cap was over-tightened by some 'mechanic' so there's a few small replacements to be done. Perhaps a leak in the power steering and I am yet to find out about the AC. The battery is on a .5A trickle charge for the next few days and I've given her a quick wash. Removed the rubbish from inside, and let the rain clean the mats though there is much more to go yet. The boot was full of rubbish even and the interior thick with dust.

The ICV bracket was missing the nut which instead of being left on the road somehow had made it up to just behind the dizzy cap, so that went back on. I bought it to part it in the worst case, now I'm thinking about fixing it. If I do that she'll have to be painted... now that I've saved her, should I fix her or let her die?

By the feel of the new engine she's keen to stay with us.

So now the dilemma: What exactly does a man do with two old BMWs??? It was to be for my girlfreind but she's a bit turned off by the dirt and she hasn't yet got her license- plus may not even need it anyway.

Nick
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by genphreak; 03-25-2007 at 02:40 PM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Nick--keep the girlfriend away from the e28 til it is clean. Most people have no imagination when it comes to visualizing what something can look like with a little work.

After you turn it into a retro beauty queen, the girlfriend will be begging you for it.
    Dinan chip, Bilstein sports w H&R, RD sways, RD strut brace, 750 bushings, Zimmermans/MetalMasters, O.E. M Pars, Eisenmann muffler

Give to someone, but who

Well, I guess I'll step up and take it. Where can I pick it up? LOL

Nice find. Definitely give it a good scrub then show it to her.
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Dunno why, I guess I just couldn't help it. I had one a long time ago, this one was a month younger than the previous 6/86, which was an almost identical spec M30/ZF4HP22EH 535i with leather, sunroof and so on.

It was really a do or die situation, if I left her she'd have died. The PO was a kiwi dude who had lost his license and they (the Oz Polizei) took the plates off the car, so he had to have it towed and then left it for three months out the front of his fllat until his landlord gave the car it's final rites- by saying it had to be gone by 5:30pm last Friday.

I found it on eBay and bid. By 11pm the girlfreind and I had it on a tow truck, hours past the deadline so he was pretty relieved but miserbale to see his Bimmer go. The 30km ride home in the dark and she was parked skew-whiff across the driveway with a flat battery... awaiting my attention at daylight.

In the light of day she turned out in a better state than I expected. Mud and water inside the car from terrential sydney summer rains, I was happy to find that the reasons why were all simpler than expected. The rust is minimal but there is more body damage than the pics show. The engine however looks great under what is still a thick coat of dirt that made it look seriosuly questionable in the dark. I'd say someone has spent big money on new parts for her not too long ago.

The leather will need some good massaging and overall a huge clean. I have fixed the broken hoses under the hood (the vent hose fell away in pieces) and the dizzy cap was over-tightened by some 'mechanic' so there's a few small replacements to be done. Perhaps a leak in the power steering and I am yet to find out about the AC. The battery is on a .5A trickle charge for the next few days and I've given her a quick wash. Removed the rubbish from inside, and let the rain clean the mats though there is much more to go yet. The boot was full of rubbish even and the interior thick with dust.

The ICV bracket was missing the nut which instead of being left on the road somehow had made it up to just behind the dizzy cap, so that went back on. I bought it to part it in the worst case, now I'm thinking about fixing it. If I do that she'll have to be painted... now that I've saved her, should I fix her or let her die?

By the feel of the new engine she's keen to stay with us.

So now the dilemma: What exactly does a man do with two old BMWs??? It was to be for my girlfreind but she's a bit turned off by the dirt and she hasn't yet got her license- plus may not even need it anyway.

Nick
    ooooooh you naughty boy.
    welcome to the backup bimmer club. my back up is currently undergoing some minor engine helps, but mine is pretty clean. treat it like it is a slapper but its amazing how good these cars are with a bit of attention, but I wouldn't go spending more than you have to.

they are awesome run about cars. don't know about getting a respray. thats big dollars and these cars are worth stuff all on the used car market.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Clean it up and drive it until it requires any major cash infusion.
    Amazing, the difference without US bumpers.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Thanks for the replies everyone. The bumpers are perfect and the drivetrain is confirmed good now.

It is a real sleeper as it has a 520 single-pipe muffler so I guess I'll have to retrofit a riceburning bazooker on there at some point.

I had a slightly evil thought; get an e30 and shoe-horn all the running gear into it. Do the e28/e36 suspension and brake connversion and take it racing... hmmm... but that would mean death to the e28. Hmmm trouble there is cost- let alone a manual gearbox. I'll keep y'all informed Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by Gayle
    Nick--keep the girlfriend away from the e28 til it is clean. Most people have no imagination when it comes to visualizing what something can look like with a little work.

After you turn it into a retro beauty queen, the girlfriend will be begging you for it.
    Great advice thanks Gayle. It's in the back of my mind that she might end up liking it... I just have to clean the insides up and give the seat leather a good treatment.

I'll post some pics once she's on the road again. I still don't know how good or bad she really is- I need to get her to temp and go for a few turns yet to know for sure.

Oh, and damn, I forgot to offer the patented Winfred option above... (damn!), sorry!

Nick

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak

Nick
    I say keep it, fix it up nice, enjoy it, and sell it later when you feel the need. Fixing up a car can be theraputic.

By the way... here in the states we can drive at 16 (15 in some places). Exactly how old is your girlfriend if she doesn't have a license yet?
    Robin

72 Chevy K10
    01 E39 M5

there are some nice M-Tec bits for sale on the Bay that would look sweet.

just a thought mate

Greg
    E30 318iS & BMW K1200LT