GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Answers Definitive ATF fluids post

Default Looking for Answers Definitive ATF fluids post

I would like to get some answers on the Lifetime atf fluids and in light of Mr. Graybeard and Tiger both saying they have used the Pennzoil product with no ill effects , thought i would start a thread trying to dig up as much info as possible

First off the only claims for pennzoil multi vehicle atf that i found that said it was ok for replacing various lifetime fluids was from a pennzoil dist. Johnryoung.com. Their data sheet indicated that it was ok but the pennzoil home website doesn't. They don't have a tech. hotline number to call for info only an email address and i didn't want a secretary to randomly answer my trans fluid query.

Then i searched for every body who makes any claims at all for replacements for any of the 4 special atf's that BMW or ZF specifies. Amsoil states clearly on their website that their synthetic atf is a suitable replacement for ESSO LT 71141 and the BMW 7045E but they don't mention the Shell La 2634.

Kendall versa trans is also supposed to be suitable for a replacement for all 4 of the bmw fluids. On a kendall dist. website i found this document but the same info was not on the Kendall website itself. There was a tech info hotline however and i called it this morning. The fellow that i talked to stated that yes it was a suitable replacement for these bmw fluids. But he also stated that if it was still under warranty he would stick with the manufacturers specs to avoid any potential argument from the manufacturer that you used a fluid that wasn't approved by them. He also said that if it was off warranty he wouldn't hesistate to use it and that they had tested the fluid in all the applications that specified special fluids with no problems. Here's various documents that i've found so far, since i'm limited to 4 per post i'll put them in additional posts. Any body else who has found any other sites or different fluids that also are compatible please post on this thread. Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Default Here are some more of the pages

that i've found

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    I would like to get some answers on the Lifetime atf fluids and in light of Mr. Graybeard and Tiger both saying they have used the Pennzoil product with no ill effects , thought i would start a thread trying to dig up as much info as possible

First off the only claims for pennzoil multi vehicle atf that i found that said it was ok for replacing various lifetime fluids was from a pennzoil dist. Johnryoung.com. Their data sheet indicated that it was ok but the pennzoil home website doesn't. They don't have a tech. hotline number to call for info only an email address and i didn't want a secretary to randomly answer my trans fluid query.

Then i searched for every body who makes any claims at all for replacements for any of the 4 special atf's that BMW or ZF specifies. Amsoil states clearly on their website that their synthetic atf is a suitable replacement for ESSO LT 71141 and the BMW 7045E but they don't mention the Shell La 2634.

Kendall versa trans is also supposed to be suitable for a replacement for all 4 of the bmw fluids. On a kendall dist. website i found this document but the same info was not on the Kendall website itself. There was a tech info hotline however and i called it this morning. The fellow that i talked to stated that yes it was a suitable replacement for these bmw fluids. But he also stated that if it was still under warranty he would stick with the manufacturers specs to avoid any potential argument from the manufacturer that you used a fluid that wasn't approved by them. He also said that if it was off warranty he wouldn't hesistate to use it and that they had tested the fluid in all the applications that specified special fluids with no problems. Here's various documents that i've found so far, since i'm limited to 4 per post i'll put them in additional posts. Any body else who has found any other sites or different fluids that also are compatible please post on this thread. Thanks.

Default And here are a few more of related pages

as well

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    that i've found

The only sliver of info I have to add to this is that the fellow who teaches the ZF tech sessions for BIMRS, who incidentally is down Winfred's way, runs some kind of regular old Dex III ATF in his E34 540. He apparently converts them to regular ATF, with no ill effect, after rebuilding them.

Looks like the Kendall product is a good alternative, but it could just be their marketing department hunting for new revenue

This post is interesting; how can one fluid be compatible with two different fluids at the same time; for example the Kendall fluid is compatible with dexron 3 and the esso LT71141 fluid. I'm assuming the ingredients of these two fluids are different; so how can the Kendall fluid work with both without problems.

In Australia I'm quoted roughly aud$330 for 20L of the esso fluid and aud$170 for 4L of it.

If you look at Pennzoil website... without going into the data sheet. It said suitable for all BMW with an asterisk... the asterisk said except BMW 6 speed tranny as found in 7 series.

http://www.pennzoil.com/products/tra...ds/mv_atf.html

That is consistent with that data sheet you found.

Bill,

I have been using Redline D4 in my 540 since 80,000 miles, now at 120,000, with no issues.
    I went to it when I was getting "Trans Program" messages and was looking for an alternative to the Shell recommended fluid at $30+ per liter.

At the time I replaced the filter and fixed a small leak so Idon't know if one or all of these fixed the "Trans Prog" problem but I haven't seen one since.

Bob

1995 540iA - 1988 535i 5 Speed
    1980 528i 5 Speed - 1980 528iA (Sold)

D4 is the bomb diggity!

just remember to replace it at least every 50K miles (30K is my interval due to my driving style)
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Default Some more things i've dug up showing

Quaker state which is the same product as pennzoil multivehicle atf and also some stuff from valvoline

Default And one

more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast