GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for Answers Definitive ATF fluids post

Default from my digging around so far what i've been

able to determine if its actually correct that is ... is that esso 71141 is esso's
    designation for conventional dexron fluid type III , the most commonly used fluid of all automatic trans fluids. The designation LT71141 stands for LifeTime and has a greater amount of additives package in it to last for a lifetime supposedly. I've found a number of sites that state something along this line. But i don't know if its true or not. My knowledge of this subject is lacking , thats why rooting around in my spare time.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    This post is interesting; how can one fluid be compatible with two different fluids at the same time; for example the Kendall fluid is compatible with dexron 3 and the esso LT71141 fluid. I'm assuming the ingredients of these two fluids are different; so how can the Kendall fluid work with both without problems.

In Australia I'm quoted roughly aud$330 for 20L of the esso fluid and aud$170 for 4L of it.

WOW... Statement from Valvoline... that further confirms their product is compatible with BMW fluids... and they stand behind it. I was going to put Maxlife in my tranny but can't find it locally. I remembered seeing their Maxlife sheet that said compatible with LA2634... Pennzoil was so much easier to find, so I went with Pennzoil.

Interesting German Quaker State version... they said synthetic... I thought it was semi-synthetic. Nevertheless, it said compatible.

Wow... even better.

Default After doing more searching here's a

updated letter from Valvoline stating the same thing on the max life and some more charts for it. Also the Castrol website is one of the few that states right on their site that the import multi vehicle fluid is a suitable replacement for LA 2634 and Esso LT 71141.... So the choices appear to be getting more and more. But so far Kendall Versan trans is the only one that appears to be compatible with the 4 most common fluids hard to get fluids used in Bmw
    LA 2634 Esso LT 71141 Texaco ETL 7045E and 8072B, since my wife's e46
    has the ZF steptronic in it, I'll probably go with the Castrol or the Valvoline ATF's since those are the most common around here and reasonably priced as well.

A few minutes ago i also called the valvoline tech line to add to the number of tech lines i've called. The oil tech guy that i talked to here stated that:
    Yes, even though its not currently listed on the website Maxlife atf is a suitable substitute for LA 2634 and LT71141, he seemed familiar with the products that i mentioned. I asked him for documentation to that effect and if it was posted on the web anywhere, he said he was holding the documentation in his hand and could fax it to me. I don't have a fax though, since i now do virtually everything over the web.

Here the Castrol website page and some valvoline info thats more current.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Whoa... seems like everyone is stating their stuff is compatible... That's amazing as compared to 5 or 6 years ago... only Pennzoil/Quaker State (same company) and Valvoline Maxlife said is compatible... Redline over the email stated their product is also compatible... Don't remember about Amsoil.

This is amazing. Great job BillR!

awesome these helps alot of people out with other 5 speed autos, like for example the 300ce-24 which i keep drooling over.

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

Quote Originally Posted by rob101
    awesome these helps alot of people out with other 5 speed autos, like for example the 300ce-24 which i keep drooling over.
    Guys Guys guys, I've been saying for years;

ZF RECCOMMEND Castrol synthethic Transmax.

Big K and I have had great results with it...

Kriss was the first to find and use. I later found the ZF chart that recommended it in particular for the ZF4 and 5HP22 trannies, basically anything filled with Dexron II at birth.

Nick

If I can get a moment I will find it and post it up for y'all so see- for some time all I could get was 'use of antyhing else is not reccommended' (for good reasons I suspect- there are a lot of **very** wide and vague claims about suitability in all kinds of applcations made by lubricant people out there

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

thats for normal transmission fluid though. not the lifetime stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by genphreak
    Guys Guys guys, I've been saying for years;

ZF RECCOMMEND Castrol synthethic Transmax.

Big K and I have had great results with it...

Kriss was the first to find and use. I later found the ZF chart that recommended it in particular for the ZF4 and 5HP22 trannies, basically anything filled with Dexron II at birth.

Nick

If I can get a moment I will find it and post it up for y'all so see- for some time all I could get was 'use of antyhing else is not reccommended' (for good reasons I suspect- there are a lot of **very** wide and vague claims about suitability in all kinds of applcations made by lubricant people out there

Default The local checkers doesn't have the new

castrol fluids bottles yet , but the closest autozone does.. They now have
    a multivehicle ATF for Imports for 3.99 and they have a domestic vehicle multivehicle ATF for 3.19..... I bought some of the castrol import multivehicle today. Here's what the bottle looks like and it states clearly on the back , Recommended for vehicles that require LA 2634 and LT 71141.....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12