GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: removing the exhaust manifold

Default removing the exhaust manifold

do I have to have the car on jackstands to remove the exhaust manifold. the car is stuck in my garage now and is going nowhere. time to remove the cylinder head. Its going to be almost impossible to get underneath the car without the jackstands there. the car is too low.

Default it's easier to reach

the manifold to downpipe bolts from the bottom.

If you try to pull the manifolds off the head, you'll still have to go under to loosen up the hangers to swing the manifold and pipes back.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

i thought so - thanks bob

the best way i've found to not break the studs if you have the long ones with the springs is after you hit them with your favorite lube spray, tighten them 1/2 1 turn before loosening them
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Will that work with any studs/bolts whatever that are rusted pretty good, or just the manifold ones? Screw it im writing it down anyway, thats a dang good idea. Oh Great Winfred, how do you acquire such wisdom? Instruct me in your ways!

just the ones with the springs on the m30s otherwise douse them with a good penetrating oil like pb blaster or kroil, uhhhhh..... from doing this **** in a daily basis for the last 10 years

Quote Originally Posted by indierthanthou
    Will that work with any studs/bolts whatever that are rusted pretty good, or just the manifold ones? Screw it im writing it down anyway, thats a dang good idea. Oh Great Winfred, how do you acquire such wisdom? Instruct me in your ways!
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

thanks for your help Winfred. I bought new studs on the downpipes just in case also. I'll put the car on some ramps at the front.

Quote Originally Posted by BigKriss
    do I have to have the car on jackstands to remove the exhaust manifold. the car is stuck in my garage now and is going nowhere. time to remove the cylinder head. Its going to be almost impossible to get underneath the car without the jackstands there. the car is too low.
    You won't need them bro, they are stainless and we don't have salt on the roads. Mine look like new plus a little heat colouring. The thing you must be careful about is the springs- tighten them too much and they (under heat and too much pressure) lose their spring and you have to buy new ones- and they are very expensive form BMW Australia. I just buy new nuts- I read that the little copper ones are best replaced each time, else they fall off. I don't think you need to use anti-seize on the new ones, but i still do. Nick
    Last edited by genphreak; 03-25-2007 at 06:49 AM.

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

i never replace the nuts and usually antiseize them, the only spring problems i encounter is the occaisional broken one

I think it's easier to pull the head with exhaust manifolds on.

A few tricks to disconnect head pipe I learned thru the years
    -6 point socket only
    -Propane torch to heat nut ONLY. Keep flame off stud. This expands nut and breaks rust bond between nut and stud.
    -Tighten first per Winfred
    -Repeat heat if it's still stuck
    -Apply lube after nut is loosened
    -Reassemble with copper paste
    -Tighten fully to compress spring and back nut off 1-1/2 turns

http://www.ecstuning.com/stage/edpd/...productID=3316

Paul Shovestul
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.