GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break Pads!

Default Brake Pads!

Had rear pads replaced and still get the squeaking sound. put anti-squeal on the rotors when replaced, but after 2 days the squeaking came back. Need help with this annoying problem.
    Last edited by Roderick; 03-24-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Misspell

Default Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Roderick
    put anti-squeal on the rotors when replaced, but after 2 days the squeaking came back. Need help with this annoying problem.
    I usually put an anti squeal/rattle compound on the backs of the pads, and a light dab of synthetic grease on the contact points between the pads and carrier.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

Default ..

Had rear pads replaced and still get the squeaking sound. put anti-squeal on the rotors when replaced, but after 2 days the squeaking came back. Need help with this annoying problem.

Brake..Sorry I couldn't resist

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock

Quote Originally Posted by HIe34
    Brake..Sorry I couldn't resist
    It's ok. If you didnt, i would have.
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

Quote Originally Posted by Alexlind123
    It's ok. If you didnt, i would have.
    Brake pad.

Brake pad.
    *Gives Roderick a pat on the back*
    Lowered with blue h&r(?) springs, Bilsteins, tint, 19# design 3 injectors, Dual Magnaflow
    southwest WA

my rear one squeal when they get hot....llike near the bottom of a long downhill windy road.....
    Gone but not forgotten

did you use new rotors or the old ones? Did you sand the old rotors to help bed the new pads? are your pads already degassed or require a tedious break in? what pads? what rotors? what symptoms did you have before you changed them?

Sometimes when you do things like this yourself you learn a lot and have questions that need answering, when you let some shop do it your at their mercy and have absolutly no clue whats going on and the only thing you can do is keep throwing money at the problem.

brake brake brake

Good luck bro.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Default Wise words

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    did you use new rotors or the old ones? Did you sand the old rotors to help bed the new pads? are your pads already degassed or require a tedious break in? what pads? what rotors? what symptoms did you have before you changed them?

Sometimes when you do things like this yourself you learn a lot and have questions that need answering, when you let some shop do it your at their mercy and have absolutly no clue whats going on and the only thing you can do is keep throwing money at the problem.

brake brake brake

Good luck bro.
    Wise words, well put, Jeff.

I am looking forward to it myself. I just got a pair of e31 single-pot fronts, if they are rebuildable they are going on with the big rotors and a pair of V8 rears. Then I can drive (well at least brake) like an M5. Not looking forward to the process though.

We need a procedure up here

Pads in categories and how to fit/bed them in (when necessary) for best results. The OE BMW rotors I bought were grooved and no doubt carefully treated, obviously with stock pads this is all that's required (proly not even a clean). With aftermarket rotors the soapy water trick is usually required I beleive, though sanding sometimes perhaps one should not... some people sand the pads... its is a real pain brakes. (have to remember to buy oodles of anti-squeal for the backs of future pads)- we used a can of high temp paint last time, it was thick and tends to do the job (but probably not so well). The anti-squeal stuff is seldom required but good to have for peace of mind.

Some pads (EBC?) even come with anti-squeal plates... (what a good idea!)

My favourite is new pads on old rotors. I did this once and drove carefully on them for a bit, only a few hard stops. Kinda makes a nasty grinding sound, as if it comes through the chassis of the car (and it does). My rotors were fine, but even after 5,000km I still can't stand on the brakes without the noise level during and afterwards increasing. I guess if I really used them they'd glaze and warp. Can't wait for the new ones...

Nick

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ
    my rear one squeal when they get hot....llike near the bottom of a long downhill windy road.....
    How about my rears groan like bellowing bull while backing out of my driveway. I've never heard this sound from a car before...

The brakes are perfectly silent while driving forward and stop the car so hard that my brain sloshes to the front of my head making me dizzy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast