GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Blower rebuilt, swords replaced..works like a champ

Default Blower rebuilt, swords replaced..works like a champ

Well finally got the problem resolved. Have rebuilt the blower, replaced the sword and auxillary heater pump and solenoid, now the heater works. Man it only too 3 weeks. Sure will be glad when warm weather comes around

What did you do to the blower?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Default rebuilt the blower

I took the blower apart and cleaned everything,. One of the bushings was stuck to the armature shaft so I polished it out. Reset the bushing into the housing with locktite and packed them with hightemp grease. Sounds fine but the cages maybe a little out of line since they started out by rubbing on the air vent housing,. After running it for a couple of minutes it quieted down and if just great. I have since found another blower on line and have purchased it. If my rebuild doesnt hold I will replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross
    What did you do to the blower?

I've gotta do this fix on mine. Did you buy a new sword, or just fix yours? I haven't searched, but if they are as commonly found as used LKM's I might just buy a used one.

1992 525i 5 speed (Calypso/Parchment) - 1989 525iA (Schwartz/Natur) SOLD

Default Try repairing first

I would definately try repairing first. Ten bucks for the parts and a little of your time. A rebuilt sword will cost you $150 and up. E34 show how to repair.

Quote Originally Posted by SC David
    I've gotta do this fix on mine. Did you buy a new sword, or just fix yours? I haven't searched, but if they are as commonly found as used LKM's I might just buy a used one.

how did you get at that fifth screw thats on the drivers side bottom of the firewall panel? mine is directly behind a wiring harness and a hose and i cant get at it. the harness is too stiff to really get much movement out of it to move it out of the way.

excellant. I was just about to start having a go at this this weekend. Thanx

Default That ooey gooey stuff

I cut the wire ties and moved the wire harness up. If you use a long extention with a magnetic tip it helps to hold the screw until it in the hole. You can also move the wire harness metal cowling that lays ontop of the wiring harness. Another trick you can use is to get some of that gooey stuff they use to stick cd to to cardboard. You know that gooey sticky stuff thats like thick snot. Put a glob of that on the end of the socket. I keep a collection of that stuff in a medicine bottle. Works even better than a magnet. Pull it out using needle nose plyers. Another tool you can use is a three finger grabber. At least you can get it started. I am glad I have small fingers. I just used the socket and some snot on the screw that is under the hot water solenoid. I was hoping to find a sheet metal screw with a wingnut end, I looked around for several days but no success. I found a very small rachett with a extremely low profile. It just fit in the area with the socket on the end for tightening.
    Quote Originally Posted by indierthanthou
    how did you get at that fifth screw thats on the drivers side bottom of the firewall panel? mine is directly behind a wiring harness and a hose and i cant get at it. the harness is too stiff to really get much movement out of it to move it out of the way.

Default Heres the two sites showing how to repair the sword

http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...ical/sword.htm

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/136145/

Quote Originally Posted by mattyb
    excellant. I was just about to start having a go at this this weekend. Thanx