GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M60 Valve cover and Intake gasket parts list

Default M60 Valve cover and Intake gasket parts list

The car had been running great for the past 6 months with 2 new O2 sensors (fixed CEL problem) at 99K (106K miles now). Just started to develop rough idle with CEL 1222 code (intermittently). I did a big search. I think it's gasket time. I want to do both Valve cover and Intake gaskets at once so that I only pay one time labor - I will buy parts online and have my bimmer indy replace them. I just want to make sure that I order all the parts needed. Please help let me know if I miss anything below. Not sure if I need plug connectors though. I will order at autohaus.com. I can't seem to find plug connector boots (do they come with plug connectors? what is the number?). Thanks a lot!

11611729728 VictorReinz --> PCV Plate Gasket
    EGR Valve Gasket; Intake Manifold to Rear Cover Plate $2.84

11611747085 BMW (OE) --> PCV Plate Cap
    EGR Valve Gasket; Plug/Cap for Rear Cover Port $3.50

11617501562 BMW (OE) --> so called "PCV Plate"
    EGR Valve; Rear Cover with Non-Return Valve $53.89

11611729727 VictorReinz
    Intake Manifold Gasket; Front Intake Manifold to Throttle Housing $3.96

11611433328 VictorReinz/Gloeckler
    Intake Manifold Gasket; Intake Manifold to Cylinder Head $13.81 x 4 = $55.24

11151736140 VictorReinz
    Intake Manifold Gasket; Rear Intake Manifold Cover O-Ring; 20x3.55mm $1.49
    13411733217 BMW (OE)
    PCV Valve Grommet; Grommet for Ventilation Valve and Idle Control Valve $11.98

12139067831 Bremi
    Spark Plug Connector; Coil To Spark Plug; Updated Version 1.8kOhms $5.66 x 8 = $45.28

11129069872 ElringKlinger/Meistersatz/VictorReinz
    Valve Cover Gasket Set; Left - Cylinders 5-8 $21.34

11129069871 ElringKlinger/Meistersatz/VictorReinz
    Valve Cover Gasket Set; Right - Cylinders 1-4 $21.34

11121437395 Gloeckler/VictorReinz
    Valve Cover Grommet Gasket; Valve Cover Nut Seal $0.71 x 22 = $15.62
    94' AlpineWhite 530i, 5 spd Auto, 112K miles, Mfg in 4/93

im planning to do my intake gaskets ain a few months.

i plan on doing my valve cover gaskets and spark plugs this weekend.

when time does come to do the inktae gaskets im going to do the valley pan gasket and water pump and expansion tank at the same time. my car should run like a top then.

have fun with the fuel rail, you have to tug on that bitch to get it off. Only thing that really slowed me down, that and resealing the new gaskets. Pretty simple, should take a weekend unless you work at it nonstop.

1995 BMW 530ia/3.15lsd/M Parallels/Eibach/Bilstien/Magnaflow

oops, looks like your sending it to the indie. where are you sourcing your parts from the shop, or somewhere else? That PCV plate cap(11611747085) may be one of the reasons my idle is off.

Default My indie is gone!

He decided to move out of CA to open a real shop in Las Vegas. That sucks. My buddy, who regularly works on cars and have all the tools, is having a new baby. What a timing

I just tried to reboot (unplug computer). It doesn't help. I confirmed that the code is gone after reboot. But when I fired her up, it idles very badly (engine almost dies). Then, CEL came on with the same code 1222. The car is almost undriveable. All the sudden this happened, I'm pretty sure there is an intake leak somewhere.

Maybe I will probably have to spend a weekend on this myself. I'm just a weekend (oil-change) mechanic. Will I be able to do this? Any special tools needed? I appreciate if anyone can link me to detailed instructions somewhere for both valve cover and intake gaskets. Thanks in advance!
    94' AlpineWhite 530i, 5 spd Auto, 112K miles, Mfg in 4/93

off the top of my head you will need a 12 piece metric socket set, a dremel, a set of allen keys, channel locks, needle nose pliers, your basic tools and hopefully you have a parts store that is close, in case you drop some bolts or need a special tool.

Someone on here should chime in soon, over half the m60 owners on this board have done this. Use the search and see if you can find some more info until then.

I know theres a write up on here, search m60 intake manifold gaskets and it should be one of the first ones

I have just done this job and I too am a weekend mechanic (when I get the time) so its perfectly do-able! My thread is here:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=31138

The superb instructions I followed were here:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthread.php?t=17421

Follw these and you can go far wrong. Note the last comments, I disconnected the two fuel lines from the other ends as well as it was too tight trying to disconnect them from the fuel rail (also easier to put back on).
    Other issues:
    The clips holding the injector rail to the injectors (1 per injector) were a bitch to get off and I couldn't get them back on again after the job was done (also explained in last comment in above link).

All cable ties and cable holders etc for the wiring harnesses must be removed because you need as much play in the harness as possible (without over doing it) once you get these out of the way there is barely enough space to remove the intake, make sure you don't catch any of these as it can be pricey to sort.

When you put the mainfold back with the new gaskets make sure they sit properely. My new ones were much thicker than the old ones and as its a squeeze getting the intake into position they kept slipping off.

With these instructions you should be OK. It took me about 8 hours over 2 days to remove the intake, strip it, clean it and rebuild with new parts and it took me about 2 hours to put it all back together again! I had a few extra electrical connections to remove (i think cos of ASC) but as long as they are labelled when disconnected refitting is a doddle.

The parts list is key because there are a number of small parts all sold separately and you will end going back and fourth to the dealer if you don't have ths list. There is another version of the link with the instructions on which also has a parts list (which I used) but I can't find the thread, anyone know where it is?

While you're there you could replace the water pump and colling related bits (you will see it all as soon as you take off the manifold). I didn't do this as my water pump is only a few months old but had I been more organised with parts I would have replaced all o rings and gaskets I could access while the intake was off.

I also found this link but I found it after I did the job so I haven't read it in detail:

http://www.bimmer.info/forum/showthr...ght=M60+intake
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

If you remove the intake manifold you may want to consider replacing the valley pan. In the spirit of screwing BMW owners, BMW wants you to replace the pan because the rubber gasket on the pan is baked on. The original pan has a paper gasket. You cannot buy the paper gasket anymore.

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

il have to remember that when i reseal the 4.0, too late for the 3.0

i missed that and the front throttle gasket, still get the 1222 when its cold out...sux
    Quote Originally Posted by Boone.Msi
    il have to remember that when i reseal the 4.0, too late for the 3.0
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast