GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: E34 ownership guide in “total bmw” March issue

Default E34 ownership guide in “total bmw” March issue

Last month’s issue focused on e36 ownership.
    This month its about e34s.

The article contains Good information I think and address the common e34 issues with the fuel system, engine, cooling system, body and trim, wheels and tyres, A/c, transmission, and suspension and brakes.

Here are two paragraphs from the article:

Fuel System:

“Fuel pipes can rust, and none more so that the thin steel pipe across the back of the fuel tank. For the time it takes its worth whipping the ear bumper off (easy) and checking this pipe out because if it starts to leak you’ll dump half a gallon of fuel in no time. Its simple enough to replace and you use a long section of rubber fuel hose if you like. On fuel hose. Its always best to buy proper BMW stuff as a lot of the aftermarket stuff is just crap”

Wheel and Tyres:

“the classic mistake with the E34 is to fit big aftermarket wheels. The E34 doesn’t like anything bigger than 16 inch with 225 or 235 tyres and too many cheap wheels aren’t particularly well balanced. This is why E34s with cheap big wheels drive like a double bed and wander all over the road.”

Sounds like good advice to a guy who has the origiinal honeycombs on his 540. I can't wait to read it. Is Jenny Morgan an adviser?

Excellent, I'll keep an eye out when it hits stands in about a month or two here in Australia.

By the way, I bought Bimmer magazine (the American one) when they featured a buyer's guide for E34s. They said that in terms of things that can go wrong, the E34 is built very solidly and there's nothing too significant to watch out for.

Did TotalBMW say anything along the lines of that, or do they think the E34 is rubbish or something in between?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard
    Is Jenny Morgan an adviser?
    i think she writes for roundel magazine?
    No, not in total BMW

Quote Originally Posted by LunatiC
    Did TotalBMW say anything along the lines of that, or do they think the E34 is rubbish or something in between?
    qouting from totalBMW:

"“Built like a Panzer tank, the third genteration of the Five is one of the most dependable BMWs you can get”

"This month, our spotlight turns onto one of the most solid BMWs ever Built, the third generation of Five"

"this month we're looking at one of BMW's most enduring models, the E34 5-Series..."

i might end up typing the whole article here

totalBMW started to focus more on older BMWs in the last few issues.
    thats a good turning point for the mag i think and for us older bmws owners.

there are alot of magazine out there write about new BMW models ignoring poor guys like myself who like to keep their old bimmers alive for as longest time as possible.

i think its a good startegy from totalBMW to target older bmw lovers over the world

Quote Originally Posted by Fahad
    qouting from totalBMW:
    Great to hear! Looks like the folk from Bimmer magazine knew what they were talking about.

totalBMW started to focus more on older BMWs in the last few issues.
    thats a good turning point for the mag i think and for us older bmws owners.
    Agreed. I love the new stance of TotalBMW (said with a little bit of bias ), and it's a refreshing change from the stupid "let's rice up some E36s and E46s" theme that some other BMW magazine has been doing (I'm looking at you, PerformanceBMW!)

I take it this is the US version, does anyone know if the same mag comes out in the UK? I've bought UK versions before in the past so I will have to look out for this one.

Thank you for the info, these types of articles are getting harder to find!
    UK 1997 e34 540iA Touring, 1989 535i Sport - now sold, 1998 Mercedes CLK 200 Coupe

yes i have been reading total bmw for years now. i actually have a few issues that date back to 2002. its a great magazine. too bad i cant find it at barnes and noble anymore. its the only bmw magazine worth buying. very helpful and witty commenting, they also do special features every month and discuss the rare models never sold here.

every other bmw magazine such as bimmer talk about the new stuff. i say if you want to know more about the new stuff just walk down to your local dealer. they will be more than happy to show you.

Default total bmw E34 issue

I have seen that issue in Ireland. I think it was last months one and may be gone off the shelves by now.

Wheel and Tyres:

“the classic mistake with the E34 is to fit big aftermarket wheels. The E34 doesn’t like anything bigger than 16 inch with 225 or 235 tyres and too many cheap wheels aren’t particularly well balanced. This is why E34s with cheap big wheels drive like a double bed and wander all over the road.”
    Wow this is so true. My car feels like a truck with the 17s on. The difference is night and day when I put my 15" winters on, so much more nimble and light feeling, despite the shitty tires. Gotta look good though.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast