GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amsoil Bypass Oil filter...

Default Amsoil Bypass Oil filter...

Has anyone ever used an Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter in their Bimmer? It looks pretty interesting - http://www.bestsyntheticoil.com/amsoil/by-pass.shtml
    94 540iA w/ EAT
    97 740iL (SOLD!)
    99 Discovery II

Default Why not just use a frantz bypass filter?

Quote Originally Posted by byurko
    Has anyone ever used an Amsoil Bypass Oil Filter in their Bimmer? It looks pretty interesting - http://www.bestsyntheticoil.com/amsoil/by-pass.shtml

Default Never heard of them...

This is what I found on a google search... http://www.wefilterit.com/products.htm

Bill - Have you used them? It looks like a straight forward install... Where to buy?

Thanks for the quick reply!
    94 540iA w/ EAT
    97 740iL (SOLD!)
    99 Discovery II

Default Used them back in the 60s and seventies..... A friend of mine has moved his

from car to car with every new car he buys since the 60's, not sure if he put it on his new tundra or not....I guess the toilet paper brand you use makes a big difference....

This is what I found on a google search... http://www.wefilterit.com/products.htm

Bill - Have you used them? It looks like a straight forward install... Where to buy?

Unregistered Guest

Darn, somebody beat me to the TP Joke. TP filters may help extend the life of oil. The problem is that nobody has done back to back testing with and without, replacing the same amount of oil as when you change the TP without having a TP filter. What happens is that every 5000 miles or so, you change the TP and have to add a quart of oil. The question becomes, is the TP cleaning the oil, making it last longer, or is the new oil you are adding causing the oil change oil interval to last longer.

My suggestion is to skip the TP filter, use a good quality synthetic changed according to the factory change intervals. Use 0w-40 or 5w-40 Mobil 1 (or if you prefer amsoil), both are good Group IV PAO oils.

Cary

Default Brian, after I mentioned the frantz to you , I got interested and

poked around some, it looks like there are a number of different manufacturers making them or other similar toilet paper oil filters
    This site seemed pretty interesting...

I don't think I would put one on my bmw since the mileage is already so high but It might be interesting to put one on the toyota camry/tundra/sienna etc v6 motor that has the sludging problem to see if it would help prevent it from occurring... There's enough info out there to show that bypass filters really do work to remove the smaller particles in the oil... Do a google search on bypass oil filters..

Unregistered Guest

The sludging problem in Toyota Motors cannot be cured by using a bypass filter. The problem with the toyota motors has to do with the oil cooling to fast when moving from the head to the block. The ways to prevent sludging with those motors is to 1) use a high quality synthetic changed every 5000 miles or 2) use a good mineral oil changed every 2500 miles. BTW, the sludging problem has mostly been occuring in motors where the people were not changing the oil anywhere near the reccomended service interval. I highly doubt you have been using mineral oil and changing the oil at 10,000 mile + intervals.

Cary

Default Sorry Cary thats BS, i have 3 customers who have had this problem and 2

of the 3 have had all their oil changes done by toyota at 2500 to 3500 mile range, these are both women who are paranoid about oil changes and both of them had this problem occur at less than 50k miles... Toyota tried to pull that infrequent maintenance story on them until they produced all the maintenance records from the local toyota dealer proving that the oil changes had been done at better than normal intervals. The 3rd one of my customers is a friend who purchased a 40k mile camry at a toyota factory lease return auction. These were toyota factory auctioned cars, inspected by toyota prior to the auction purchased with a warranty.. This was in west virginia and he was vacationing and bought it on impulse, then proceeded to head back west with it and called me when he got here .
    It was using a quart of oil every 200 miles or so on the highway. I told him to take it to the dealer since it was factory auctioned and inspected and was still under warranty.. They gave him the same story about lack of maintenance and refused to cover it. He argued and they agreed to pay half so he was stuck paying 2k for a motor on a lease return he just bought. Six months later I saw that toyota had finally aknowledged there was a problem with the design of the cooling system passages in heads creating a hot spot that cokes up. And they were now covering them. I had him call them and they finally reimbursed his 2k that he had spent for his share of the new motor... A few other links if your interested
    In fact if you search around you'll find a dozen explanations for the toyota sludging problem with the newest being that the pcv system was redesigned and its not working correctly... Also one of the local toyota parts department managers that I deal, when I told him of the customer with the lease return car problem.. told me that they had had 18 in that dealership alone that month... so much for it being only a few isolated cases like toyota was claiming...

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    The sludging problem in Toyota Motors cannot be cured by using a bypass filter. The problem with the toyota motors has to do with the oil cooling to fast when moving from the head to the block. The ways to prevent sludging with those motors is to 1) use a high quality synthetic changed every 5000 miles or 2) use a good mineral oil changed every 2500 miles. BTW, the sludging problem has mostly been occuring in motors where the people were not changing the oil anywhere near the reccomended service interval. I highly doubt you have been using mineral oil and changing the oil at 10,000 mile + intervals.

Cary
    Last edited by Bill R.; 05-04-2004 at 09:27 PM.

I've heard that Toyota stepped up to the plate, (probably after a string of lawsuits a mile long) and offered an extended warrenty on the engines. Something like 8 years, unlimited mileage? Not real sure on the specifics, but it reminded me of the BMW M3 E46 engines that have a factory backed 100k warrenty because of the bearings.

Trouble is, SWMBO'ed has her eye on a RX 300......gulp! Looks like the dexcool problems of the Silhouette would be traded for engine oil difficulties....there was also some mention about AFM and map sensor failures in the new toyota engines. You just can't win......=(

Default Yep it is 8 yr unlimited mileage..Yvonne also likes the rx300 after test driving a

customers car and thats a real possiblity for me too....
    I wouldn't exactly call it stepping up to the plate though... there were already a number of class action suits brewing and a lot of unhappy loyal toyota customers.... Now Nissan when they bought back my van, that was stepping up the plate... and I didn't even want to get rid of it....

Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    I've heard that Toyota stepped up to the plate, (probably after a string of lawsuits a mile long) and offered an extended warrenty on the engines. Something like 8 years, unlimited mileage? Not real sure on the specifics, but it reminded me of the BMW M3 E46 engines that have a factory backed 100k warrenty because of the bearings.

Trouble is, SWMBO'ed has her eye on a RX 300......gulp! Looks like the dexcool problems of the Silhouette would be traded for engine oil difficulties....there was also some mention about AFM and map sensor failures in the new toyota engines. You just can't win......=(
    Last edited by Bill R.; 05-04-2004 at 09:42 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast