GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Anybody need a flexdisk???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Anybody need a flexdisk???

I ordered a flexdisk and center support bearing from BMA to service my driveshaft this weekend. Turns out my 535i with automatic doesn't have a flexdisk so I didn't need it. I can return it to BMW for refund, but thought I'd see if anyone near western Kentucky might need one. I'll pass it on for the same $39 that BMA charged me plus you pay the shipping. For another $2.40, you can have the new self locking nuts I ordered too. Let me know soon if you're interested, otherwise they're going back to BMA in a couple of days.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i

e-mail me at: kieffers@hesenergy.net

Hi Robert,
    Sorry, don't need the flex disc, but I also have 535 auto and just curious about what your car was doing that it needed the bearing and whether it solved the issue when replaced.
    Jon

Default here's what it was doing

Jon,

After driving on the interstate for an hour or so, when we stopped to go through a drive thru and then took off again, I'd get a weird vibrating, rubbing type sound that seemed to come from under the car somewhere. The strange thing is that it only heppened after I'd been on the interstate for a while. I knew it had to be in the driveline because as I sped up, it sped up. But once I got up to speed, we'd never hear it again. At first I wondered if it was a wheel bearing going bad, but it did not occur all the time. Finally, I decided it had to be a part of the driveshaft. So I ordered a new center bearing and flexdisk. As mentioned before, my automatic didn't require the flexdisk. But what I did find is that the rubber surrounding the driveshaft center support bearing was deformed. I think what happened is that the age and heat eventually broke it down. My theory is that the long drives on the interstate at high speeds produced a lot of heat in the bearing, which then transfered to the rubber surround. That allowed the center of the driveshaft to droop and move around so that it made contact with the heat shield. That's what I believe the weird rubbing type sound was. I did find a shiny ring around the driveshaft where it looked like it had contacted the heat shielding. So hopefully, I've got it licked. However, I do not have my oil pan gasket leak licked. Yuck! I just don't want to get into that one yet. I've got to work up the courage.

Grace and peace,

Robert K
    1991 535i