GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Instrument Cluster Problem.

Default Instrument Cluster Problem.

Hi,

I am owning a E34 525i 1990 model since June last year (2006).

Once my instrument cluster has already gone bad and I got it repaired by an electronics guy.

It was working fine until 3 days back but then everything stopped working. But after sometime it again started and now it is completely off since last 2 days.

What must be the problem? Is it due to a loose connection or some wiring fault or is that any other electronic fault.

I have already checked this site ( http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...capacitors.htm ) for the dashboard capacitors.

Is there anything else I need to see?

Please help.

Thanks.

Saabir.

Quote Originally Posted by shsaifee
    Hi,

I am owning a E34 525i 1990 model since June last year (2006).

Once my instrument cluster has already gone bad and I got it repaired by an electronics guy.

It was working fine until 3 days back but then everything stopped working. But after sometime it again started and now it is completely off since last 2 days.

What must be the problem? Is it due to a loose connection or some wiring fault or is that any other electronic fault.

I have already checked this site ( http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/mainte...capacitors.htm ) for the dashboard capacitors.

Is there anything else I need to see?

Please help.

Thanks.

Saabir.
    If the cluster was properly repaired the harness connections to the cluster could definitively be the problem (intermittent or bad connection) very frustrating but you be could fix.

Just spray some contact cleaner in both part of the connections (male & female parts of the connectors). That worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude
    If the cluster was properly repaired the harness connections to the cluster could definitively be the problem (intermittent or bad connection) very frustrating but you be could fix.

Just spray some contact cleaner in both part of the connections (male & female parts of the connectors). That worked for me.

Hi,

As suggested, I sprayed the contact cleaner on both the parts of the connection and it worked. But then again after sometime, when I started my car, nothing came up.

Then I again did the whole procedure once more. It worked once again, and then I started the ignition and left that for 3-4 mins. the display was working, all the gauges showing the activity. But as soon as I switched off the ignition, everything remained as it is, that is, nothing went off except the RPM gauge. So I had to remove the Fuse No. 20 from the fuse box to make that off.

Now nothing is working.....

What could be the possible reasons?

Any inputs would be of great help.

Thanks in Advance.

Next place I would start looking is the ignition switch.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"