GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: V12 Touring Project Update, aka -- avoid this junk yard

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerMeUp
    Don't you have to practically turn the car into a 7-series? Change the brakes to hydraulic or something and relocating parts? Isn't it a huge hassle t put in the M70?

Also, the first post mentioned M73, isn't it the S73?
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

the eurodepot has one of these v12s i think they want 850 for it

Guys, I'm not worried about getting my money back, more disappointed in the performance of this junk yard. I'll get back what they charged for the engine, either from the junk yard making it right, or by a credit card dispute. I am fairly adept with these things and called the credit card company before telling the JY they needed to pick it up and give me a refund. The junk yard said they'd pick up the engine yesterday. It's still here. I will take an L on the freight, as I used my own people. They did a very good job (one day delivery) and they deserve what they were paid.

The M70 was used on all E32 750 and E31 8 series until sometime in '95, I believe. The M73, and later the M73tu (VaNOS and coil on plug ignition) were used in all E38 750 and late E31 850ci. The S70 was used in E31 850CSi only.

The only reason for using an M73 is that with it, I can put more power on the ground than an E39 M5. That's a big selling point.

In terms of converting the car, there's a lot to be done but it's all routine. One unknown is what to do about the M73's headers. I am not sure if I can retrofit M70 manifolds onto the M73.

Thanks for the link. I know someone who could use this, although it's too old for my purposes. Thanks, though!

edit: Zionsville wants $5350 for the full 28k mile S52 kit. It's on eBay, few days to go.
    Last edited by Kalevera; 03-14-2007 at 10:37 PM.

This makes my cracked trans case from Vines look like nothing! Good luck with it!
    93 525i / 01 330Ci / 98 Camry / 91 Volvo 240 / 99 Jeep GC

Default Sure, they can be re-used...

Quote Originally Posted by Macv
    You'd buy a used condom?
    just turn it inside out and shake the f**k out of it

wow, this engine looks like a piece of trash really. i'm sorry for your nerves, i'd be pretty pissed of if i was in your place......

good luck with the next engine and everything else

notice the safety belt chain, looks like a big company huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by filip00
    wow, this engine looks like a piece of trash really. i'm sorry for your nerves, i'd be pretty pissed of if i was in your place......

good luck with the next engine and everything else
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by 632 Regal
    notice the safety belt chain, looks like a big company huh?
    Haha, it has a fairly standard junk yard look. The blue shop towel is my doing, the original one was a nasty old plaid shirt.

The tipoff that it's been sitting outside (or under water) is the amount of rust on the harmonic balancer and fan clutch flange.

Thankfully (?) they left the DK motors in place, so the intakes were somewhat sealed. Else this thing would be even more of a loss than it is already.

Oh, and they were supposed to pick it up on Tuesday. It's still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalevera
    Haha, it has a fairly standard junk yard look. The blue shop towel is my doing, the original one was a nasty old plaid shirt.

The tipoff that it's been sitting outside (or under water) is the amount of rust on the harmonic balancer and fan clutch flange.

Thankfully (?) they left the DK motors in place, so the intakes were somewhat sealed. Else this thing would be even more of a loss than it is already.

Oh, and they were supposed to pick it up on Tuesday. It's still here.

Spray it silver, put it in the middle of your living room and put a nice thick piece of glass on top- it'll make a nice coffee table....

Sounds like they're never gonna pick it up.

Oh, and $5350 for the Vines S52 kit??!!!! Yikes!!! I'd be VERY surprised if any of these engines have the mileage that these yards state- it is common practice in the junkyard biz to shave AT LEAST 30-40k miles off everything. Some yards will just drop a single digit off the mileage- not bad huh? Until you realize this turns a 165k mile engine into a 65k mile engine..........at least on paper.

Good luck with the M73 hunt Whit- let me know if you want me to check some salvage auctions for you.

Bret.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast