GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery + junction

Default Battery + junction

Can someone who has a 540 or a 530 take a picture of the battery + junction to tell me which wire goes where? There are 5 studs on the B+ junction. The three big ones on the top are interconnected and linked to the battery positive post. My problem is the remaining two small ones. What's shown in the picture has a black wire and a green one. The green wire is originally green/black. When I attempted to start the car following what I thought would complete the 6 speed conversion, the starter kept cranking which brunt the black/green wire to a crisp. I replaced it with a green wire.

Also, can someone explain how the starting circuit works? Why is there a third wire connected to the starter solenoid (the black/green wire)?

'01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

does it have EWS2?
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

one wire is for the motor, the other (smaller) is for the solenoid.

as for cabling in the box,
    one goes to Battery (red)
    one goes to Alternator (red)
    one goes to Starter Solenoid (black/green)
    one goes to Fuse Box area (connector X15 under dash) and connects to IHKR/OBC/GM (black/green)

this list is ordered thickest to thinnest wiring.
    Last edited by BillionPa; 03-14-2007 at 04:48 AM.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by BillionPa
    one wire is for the motor, the other (smaller) is for the solenoid.

as for cabling in the box,
    one goes to Battery (red)
    one goes to Alternator (red)
    one goes to Starter Solenoid (black/green)
    one goes to Fuse Box area (connector X15 under dash) and connects to IHKR/OBC/GM (black/green)

this list is ordered thickest to thinnest wiring.
    The thick red cables I know where they go. Do I connect the green wire (used to be green/black) and the black wire to one of the smaller studs? The two smaller studs are just junctions. The studs are not grounded.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

they connect to the other 2 studs, they are hot voltage at all times

The two smaller studs are two individual bolts not connected to the three big ones which are hot all the time. If the black wire and the black/green wire (green in my case) are connected to one of the two small studs, they are not hot all the time.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

well, according to my diagram they should be.

did you replace the starter immobilization relay? auto and manuals use different ones.

oh, and you have to sync the EWS control unit to the new DME.

Yaogfeng, do you still need that picture? I can get it for you when I'm home with enough light out to snap it-- maybe today.
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

Yes I do. I'd appreciate very much.

The northeaster in New Jersey has my driveway still snow covered. I am going out of town again for two weeks but will check the board frequently.

I need to go back to basics and go over the starting circuit when I come back. In April the daylight will be longer and won't be as cold. First I need to go over the black/yellow wire from the ignition switch to the starter end to end, something I have not done. Next I may have to remove the starter to bench test it also, again something I have not done. I suspect the starter solenoid maybe shot although the starter motor is still good. But that's speculation until I remove the starter to verify.
    Last edited by yaofeng; 03-20-2007 at 06:50 AM.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast