GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A5s310z Speed Sensor?

Default A5s310z Speed Sensor?

At the risk of incurring the wrath of the "search" promoters I have to ask this question.

I have indeed done the search under Trans Program" and most of the transmissions mentioned are the A4S or A5S560Z.

The transmission in my 530 is an A5S310Z and I was thinking of changing the speed sensor the next time I had the pan off for a service "while I was in there".

According to RealOEM there is no speed sensor listed but instead TWO pulse generators. Am I correct in assuming this is one and the same? and there are two?

Has anyone done this repair? Does the valve body have to come out to make the switch?

Even though I've done fluid and filter changes on both cars I'm NOT a transmission guy and don't want to get in over my head.

Thanks for the info,
    DJ
    Spasso
    530iT, 525 5-speed , 328is.

The speed sensor is on the differential as I understand.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

According to this,
    http://www.bmwe34.net./e34main/trouble/TransProgram.asp
    there is one on the transmission too.
    Spasso

The transmission in my 530 is an A5S310Z and I was thinking of changing the speed sensor the next time I had the pan off for a service "while I was in there".

Has anyone done this repair? Does the valve body have to come out to make the switch?

Just replaced both sensors in my 525i which has same box. Yes you need to drop the valve body as they sit on top of it. Are you getting an error code that makes you think you got a problem there?

I've gotten a couple of short "flares" in RPM under hard acceleration and I have gotten one "Trans Program" message that disappeared the next time I started the car. Otherwise it runs and shifts perfectly. No other noticeable anomolies.

The first thing I am going to do is check the fluid level before I get started on other things.

I was planning on doing a fluid change on it this weekend and thought that as long as I had the pan off I could change the sensors out and work my way up to the other items listed in the troubleshooting guide.

How does your transmission work now?
    Spasso

I was planning on doing a fluid change on it this weekend and thought that as long as I had the pan off I could change the sensors out and work my way up to the other items listed in the troubleshooting guide.

How does your transmission work now?[/QUOTE]

Mine is fantastic now. Like driving a different car. Just for info, you would get EGS code 16 (input sensor) or 44 (output sensor) if they are faulty. Bentleys shows you the pinout if you want to check them at the ECU. But it was wrong for mine. The sensors are across pins 16 and 44 and 14 and 42 on mine. With a DMM they read about 450 ohms and should differ from each other by only a few ohms. One of mine was over a meg! I was nervous about dropping the valve body because its like a sandwich with springs and balls bearings in the middle. Didnt want to undo the wrong bolts:-) It went fine for me but I wouldnt have changed them if I hadnt made sure one was duff.

Correction: The output sensor code is 42. Been a long day :-)

Hey thanks for the great information.

If I can check sensor function without dropping the V-body then great. I just need to figure out where you are doing your testing and try it for myself. (I haven't done the research in Bentley yet)

First things first, check the fluid level, start with the easy stuff.
    Spasso

Question; When you mention getting an EGS code where does this code appear?
    I have a Peake Tool but it is my understanding that it only reads engine functions.

So far I'm not pulling any codes at all with it.
    Spasso

Quote Originally Posted by Spasso
    Question; When you mention getting an EGS code where does this code appear?
    I have a Peake Tool but it is my understanding that it only reads engine functions.

So far I'm not pulling any codes at all with it.
    No, I dont think the Peake will read EGS codes. I have a diagnostic interface for a laptop that will though. The ECU in mine is behind the right hand floor speaker. Its tucked up between the inner and outer skins. The pin numbers are printed inside the ECU socket. Dont forget (as I did!) that if you are looking at the connections inside the cable socket they will be reversed :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast