GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: confession chair

great stories guys
    alot to learn when looking for another bmw

Quote Originally Posted by Renman
    It would seem to me that living in Bahrain would really limit the number of decent e34s for sale. We are spoiled in USA where you can still find a well kept inventory, although in the last 2-3 years they are becoming more rare I think.
    yes the weahter here dont help keeping bimmers body and interior healthy for 10+ years.
    but Bahrainis love BMWs anyway
    you see lots of new and old bmws in our streets.. its like rich ppl buy e90s and e60s and the poors go for e36s and e34s

heh, I bought mine because I could afford it with the intention of selling it to make a couple quick K. After a trip to the michigans UP with my kid the car was a keeper. Didnt have maintenance records, no clue what nikasil was, no clue about the bad shimmy in the front end and no clue that these cars are easier to work on than american steel. Besides the crappy front end bushings I havent had ANY significent problems with the thing in the 60k miles I have had it. There are some minor deals that I will get to but the worst part is the road rash damage on the hood and stuff.

Nikasil ROCKS!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

I bought my 540i6 back in July. The car rode nice, smooth and powerful. PO said Nikasil issue was fixed by Original owner via warranty. It was far away from me and I could not take a day off work to go get it checked out.

Well, after I took my 2 yr old for a spiritted ride the one night. Noises started to appear, screeching noises that with the help of the forums, decided that it was front wheel hubs. Replaced that, and noises are still there, but appear from rear now. Car started to shimmy at highway speed, sometimes braking. Car bottoms out and rides rough now. Trunk lock would not operate via front doors, glove box/hood shocks dead. Wipers hit each other. A/C might not work this summer. Haven't check for rust, so keeping my fingers crossed. Rear defrost is not working properly. Door hatch trims are loose. Clutch clanks a little bit when trying for gears now. Slight vibration when turning the wheel and easing the clutch into first. This is not even a comprehensive list.

Someone offered me what I paid for it 2 months ago (after I knew all these things about the car). I was thinking about selling it because it would be easier on our family financially, and I was going to look for another one which is better sorted out. Wife said, you love the car, you should keep it. I don't think she understood why I was thinking about selling. But this thing is family now. My wife suggested that we should christen it when we have time! Anyway if I'm mad at my wife now I'll just think about that and it helps me get over it. Going to give this car everything she needs to get her to like new condition. Hopefully a lot of the stuff just needs little money and some labor of love.

Buying EAT chip for it, got 17" style 19 wheels. Need help with suspension guys, I'm begging you to help me (already posted another thread).

I've had the car for 65K over 3 years now.

I bought the car despite the cloth interior, auto, and color (calypso) because I liked it, because it was a 1 owner car, and because it had a full complement of records.

I sometimes wonder if I should have held out for an Alpine 1995.

I bid on this 95 540ia with 144k miles on Ebay knowing it has the Nikasil problem. The owner said so and he didn't want to handle it anymore. It is close enough for me in eastern Pennsylvania, about 190 miles so I made a run for it and got it for $2,750. Flat bed it home. That was almost a year ago.

So I knew the engine is crap when I bought it. Bought a M60 engine for $800, again on Ebay and another Nikasil. It is from a 1993 e32, 66k miles. It was a California car wrecked in 98 and came to the east coast. The engine has been sitting on the shelf for 3 to 4 years. So I rolled the dice a second time. But I tested compression with the engine on the stand. They were good.

One thing led to another I bought a 6 speed conversion package from Austin, Texas and undertook the conversion project because I never like to drive an automatic. It cost me $2,000 plus shipping.

I was so busy with work and other family commitments almost a year later the 540 is still sitting in my driveway. The only time it saw the raod was a week after I bought it to take it out for a spin to fill up the gas tank. It died on my way back but I was able to restart it later and bring it home.

I am going out of town again for two more weeks. Hopefully when I come back in April I can finish the project. So with my free labor and more than 6 grand plunked down for this toy, I'd like to say it is not the outcome that counts, it is the experience. But I know I am only fooling myself.
    '01 540it, 6/01
    '03 325i 5 speed, 9/02
    '10 535ix. 9/09
    '10 mini 6 speed
    '15 mini countryman 6 speed

Default Rust...

I felt somewhat prepared when I bought my 89 525. I hadn't owned a BMW before this, but got hooked when I found some discarded Roundel Magazines in my building and the first issue I read was covering the 5er Fest. I was looking for an e28 when I came across my current car. It was a "just gotta have" moment I guess.

PO was eager to sell, had tons of maintenance records, so I got a good deal and after I drove it, I bought it.

I found a good deal of rust on the passenger side door under the moulding, which thankfully due to another 525 owner parting out his car, I was able to score a new door which I have just replaced. Also, I didn't bother to look at the muffler (because it sounded cool), but it was rusted out as well. Again, though, I was able to get an OEM muffler from the same guy and have since replaced that.

Despite other things that I have yet to replace/fix, I have learned so much working on this car with Blitzkrieg Bob and reading this forum, that it has all been well worth it.

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Stock

I bought mine because it was a 5 speed in good mechanical condition. I wish I could have waited, because better cars came up, but I needed a car quick. Cosmetically mine is pretty bad, but at least rust free. Still, I enjoy working on them and fixing them up so it's all good in the end.
    Eric Claussen
    La Habra, CA
    1993 525i 5 speed

Default The car found me

I've been driving one of my $200 cars for years, I was considering buying a project VW type 181 thing, when a car dealer friend offered me a deal on a 90 525 because he couldn't stand to see me driving a wreck.

I was scared to buy a BMW, heard many horror stories of astronomical repairs, but a search of the net produced happy e34 owners, so I bought it.

cleaned, fixed, tuned and have enjoyed it ever since...plus it's much cooler to be seen in a E34 than VW thing.

Then I had to buy a Touring to replace our evil dodge caravan.

now I want a 850 too

and, well maybe an M5 or old 6 series

oh yeah, maybe a e30 would be cool for the boys

quick someone stop me...I need intervention or something!
    Last edited by Blitzkrieg Bob; 03-21-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Vee ave vays of dealing vid your kind...........

bought the 530 for my wife who always said that all she ever wanted was a bmw. she absolutely loves the car and raves about it at least once a week. it was a great buy at $3800. so far all it needed was a thermostat, intake pipe repair and a heated seat switch.

drove hers a few times and realized i needed one. promptly sold my van and picked up a beater 525. Now i only looked at this one at night and threw out a $1500 offer. 2 weeks later, the car was mine. Interior was cooked (Florida) purple peeling tint, filthy seats, 2 windows didnt work, leaking coolant. I love my car and now i'm bringing it back to life.

its funny, my neighbor did the same thing. bought his wife an e60, two months later, the explorer is replaced by an X3 3.0 sport.

addicting, sometimes expensive, but a totally rewarding experience.

great stories again

i don't feel bad for buying my e34 with few issues now

many problems were fixed as soon as i bought the car.. but still have a "to do" list which will need another good amount of $$$ to get done.

honestly sometimes i wonder why do i want this car to be PERFECT? it starts and takes me to work and back, why don't i drive it to the ground and leave things as they are till they are totaly broke? (i really might adoupt this strategey any day soon when my wallet gets empty )

but again i hate to drive this car with worn suspension or vibration issues..heck i bought her to enjoy the handling and smoothness.

happy E34ing all

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast