GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Cannot remove idler arm!

Default Cannot remove idler arm!

I plan to repalce my idler arm with a new lemforder arm. Cannot even get the idler arm off the center link. I am using a small (and cheap) tie rod puller so as not to damage the boot.

Is there a method to use without a puller and not damage the boot? I am trying to do this with ramps and no air tools. TIA
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

Tighten the puller as much as possible and then hit the side of the idler arm with a hammer.

Paul Shovestul

Quote Originally Posted by Russell
    I plan to repalce my idler arm with a new lemforder arm. Cannot even get the idler arm off the center link. I am using a small (and cheap) tie rod puller so as not to damage the boot.

Is there a method to use without a puller and not damage the boot? I am trying to do this with ramps and no air tools. TIA
    .....Got to keep the loonies on the paath.

Quote Originally Posted by Bellicose Right Winger
    Tighten the puller as much as possible and then hit the side of the idler arm with a hammer.

Paul Shovestul
    Absolutely. The secret being not to hit the puller... I broke 2 working that out... these things have to 'spring out'. Oh yea- make sure you leave the nut on a fair way, it helps to prevent shrapnel damage...

Join the Aussie
    540i LE yahoo forum

08/88 535i e34 M30+miller MAF, 'stiens, tints & teeth!

Thanks everyone. I borrowed tools (5 piece tie rod/pittman arm puller set)from Advance Auto to pop it out. see my other post.
    Last edited by Russell; 03-13-2007 at 05:13 PM.
    Thanks,

1995 525i Auto, M50TU 2.5L, EAT chip, 1/95 build, USA, 205/65/15 tires, ASC+T, HID, lumbar, EC Mirror, BMW Alpine 5 radio with BMW-Pioneer CD Changer, abt 236k miles, Oxford Green/Parchment

question... is it bad that I just ordered a MEYLE idler arm from BMA?? I looked for lemforder, but they don't stock them!
    _

they have them but not on their site, they can get almost everything but it's just not all listed. you need to give em a call.

Quote Originally Posted by swenpro
    question... is it bad that I just ordered a MEYLE idler arm from BMA?? I looked for lemforder, but they don't stock them!
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Thanks, Jeff, I e-mailed Patrick and he said it already shipped but I could still have the option of exchanging them and paying the difference.

Can I go ahead and install the MEYLE arm, or am I going to have it fail prematurely and wish I had exchanged for a LEMFORDER arm??
    _