GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: 540_6 Is Behaving Oddly!!

Default 540_6 Is Behaving Oddly!!

Hi all,
    Apologies once again for my infrequent posting, but as some of you know its just really difficult to get online whilst in Europe, never mind spending as long as I would like to browsing the forum.

Anyway im back in England for a few days and thus shall be doing as much maintains to the trusty E34 as possible before I go back to Bavaria.

However there is something I need a little help diagnosing. Last week whilst driving from Köln to Ingolstadt on the autobahn aprox 280 miles probably cruseing around 120ish the car ran perfectly, smooth as a baby. Until I got of the autobahn and started to drive around town.

When pulling away in any high gear at low speed the car starts to accelerate for a spilt second before kinda burping once as though losing power and then its perfect as though nothing happened. This same ‘burping’ sensation also happens if you drop below 60 and accelerate in 6th. But if you pull away from a standstill and work your way up the gears its fine.

At first I thought I mat have over cooked it on the autobahn but its been fine otherwise. Could this be fuel/filter related or something worse?

Car: E34 540 1995 195,000 miles new block at 95,000, just had a service.

i have done over 800 miles since i first noticed this and its otherwise great allthough the gear knob dose seem to vibrate a bit at idle!

Cheers Steve

It sounds like you are simply using too high a gear. You should always start off in 1st gear. If you drop below 60, down shift.

Quote Originally Posted by brosher
    It sounds like you are simply using too high a gear. You should always start off in 1st gear. If you drop below 60, down shift.
    Thanks!!....

I would agree but its defiantly a new fault. And as im clocking up sum high motorway mileage I just want to nip any potential problem in the bud ASAP.

Any more suggestions? I was reading the threads on the PCV plate.
    Last edited by 525SEI BRIT; 03-08-2007 at 01:09 PM.

Sounds like it could be a misfire. Maybe just an iffy plug -it will work fine until you put it under serious load then it gives up. That may also account for the slight vibration you are getting.

Quote Originally Posted by whiskychaser
    Sounds like it could be a misfire. Maybe just an iffy plug -it will work fine until you put it under serious load then it gives up. That may also account for the slight vibration you are getting.
    Interesting... I put Bosh Super 4s in their last service, ill check it out tomorrow.

Are the rpms shooting up quickly without power to the wheels? When my clutch started to go, I noticed slipping first when trying to pass in 6th on the highway. I'd have power momentarily before the rpms would go up quickly and it felt like the car wasn't pulling anymore. Eventually it started doing this in lower gears as you describe.
    '94 540I 6spd/205000 miles

Quote Originally Posted by bbig119
    Are the rpms shooting up quickly without power to the wheels? When my clutch started to go, I noticed slipping first when trying to pass in 6th on the highway. I'd have power momentarily before the rpms would go up quickly and it felt like the car wasn't pulling anymore. Eventually it started doing this in lower gears as you describe.
    No, it’s more like the opposite! A little hesitation, like fuel starvation! Most probably wouldn’t notice it, but being a perfectionist!