GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Window switch backlight stays on, kills battery

Light should go out after 16 minutes, if not something is keeping the car awake, draining the battery.
    Did you lock the car overnight or is it in a garage?
    Because if the car is not locked, the system is still on stand-by.

Light should go out after 16 minutes, if not something is keeping the car awake, draining the battery.

Car is locked up everytime, I find it difficult to believe that the little bulbs drain the battery, but it still shows that something is not shutting down, so hopefully if i can get to what doesnt shut down these lights i can find what else stays on with a possibly higher current draw, killing my battery.

This General Module you speak of, where is it located? and what else is it supposed to shut down?

Thanks!!
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

Car is locked up everytime, I find it difficult to believe that the little bulbs drain the battery, but it still shows that something is not shutting down, so hopefully if i can get to what doesnt shut down these lights i can find what else stays on with a possibly higher current draw, killing my battery.

This General Module you speak of, where is it located? and what else is it supposed to shut down?

Thanks!!
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

Thanks!!
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

This thread is multi post !

"Lilu Dallas, Multipass!"

I thought the lights under the window switches were an indicator as to the state of the vehicles security system post door lock?

If they're staying on, you've got some system still armed that shouldnt be switched on? They're probably indicating an entire subsystem is jammed on with a stuck relay.

If you remember most of the vehicles are fitted with window closing mechanisms, IE if you hold the key in the fully locked/deadlock position, after a few seconds the windows and sunroof start to close themselves.

I'd have a look under the rear seats for any post fit alarm system with dodgy wiring or water ingress....

The car has the stock BMW security system, but because i dont have a keyfob for it i have never used it for the 3+ years ive had it.

Another new occurance is that if your windows/sunroof are down and you shut the car off they all automatically close. This never happened before, as i used to leave the sunroof and windows cracked open on hot days.

This all leads me to beleive that some sort of relay is malfunctioning.

what do you guys think?

(hopefully it will only post this reply just once)
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

Your door lock sensor is sticking - that or you've got a short in the loom/relay that tells the auto closer to function.

That's why the lights are staying on, it thinks someone is stood there with the key held in the full lock position... try just tipping the lock to closed rather than deadlock and see if the doors auto deadlock.

(IE leave a rear door open and see if you can pull up the drivers lock from a standard lock up.)

If you cant, it's the deadlock sensor that's stuck.

Hope this makes sense.

that does make sense, i will try that. What would a repair entail? replacing the locks or some relay?
    1995 525i "Stefanie"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast