GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: quick trivia q? what was the last series bmw that had emergency door unlock?

Default quick trivia q? what was the last series bmw that had emergency door unlock?

...when i say "emergency door unlock", i mean the ability to get into a car with a flat battery by going over to the passenger door and simultaneously turning and lifting the door handle. i would assume that cars without a passenger side keyhole would be different. my mostly bmw bodyshop is mystified at the presence of such a feature, and i wanted to tell them which models it stopped with. thanks.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

as far as i know the e34 was it, the early e32s had it on both front doors (you can retro the parts into a e34 latch) and the e38/39 they don't even have a lock hole on the right side, i can't remember if theres a override on the lock, i think there is
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

awww man, that makes for crappy conversation then. i could have sworn that e46 had a manual open like that tho, thanks.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

I do remember the Z8 had a door handle button that would rotate exposing a keyhole underneath for emergency use. I'm sure all current models must have it somewhere, too.

which way do you turn? i am not quite following

Germans: Why can't they make everything?

If you're talking about the Z8 emergency access; next to the exterior handle you lift to enter the car is a fake "button" that mimics the BMW 507 door handle. If you rotate this large chrome blob, underneath is a keyhole.

The e38 & e39 (and probably the e46) have a manual overide when electrical power is lost...but you don't have to lift the handle...just insert the key and turn it counterclockwise past the detent.

I would suspect the the door handle lifting stuff ended around the time that the newer DWA/EWS II systems (anti-theft/immobilizing systems) started being installed. These are the cars that have keys with the embedded chip. (and yes I know that EWS II started with 1/95 production so that would include the e34 & e36) So that would probably make the e36/e34/e32 the last models. Not sure what the e31 (8 series) had.

See the highlighted text in image below from the e38 owners manual.

Q
    95 525iT / 97 740iL