GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Changing Euro Specs to US Specs?

Default Changing Euro Specs to US Specs?

I got a really nice 89 BMW 525 for free. I have put some work into it and made it perfect. Im here in germany until 2009 then I go back to America. I know people that have switched them over but im unsure of what all needs to be done. Does anyone know of any websites or anything to help me out that would have a checklist? I would really love to take this car back to the states with me. Thanks

Sell you my US spec bumper trim and tail lights.
    FS: PBR Deluxe rear brake pads [new]

Sell it, and buy another when you get home.

cost you $1900 to ship it, and about $4500-7500 to convert it at the registered importer robber baron factory. It just aint worth it.

You will need a US cat, US 02 Sensor, US DOT headlights, US speedo, Sidemarker lamps and rub strips, a check engine light feature in your obc, third brake light, and a closer than they appear sticker in your RH sidemirror, and a couple unleaded gas only stickers.

Unless you are bringing over a rare M5Touring or alpina that you can buy cheap over there because of gas prices, and the rarity gets you to almost even after the conversion...it just aint worth it.

best,

geoff

my M5T sails in 2 wks. Should be ready for bimmerfest o7 in May.

~6 speed~ Rear Fogs ~ Shadowline ~ Tow Package ~ OEMMM///S38B38

Quote Originally Posted by 530iTouring
    Sell it, and buy another when you get home.

cost you $1900 to ship it, and about $4500-7500 to convert it at the registered importer robber baron factory. It just aint worth it.

You will need a US cat, US 02 Sensor, US DOT headlights, US speedo, Sidemarker lamps and rub strips, a check engine light feature in your obc, third brake light, and a closer than they appear sticker in your RH sidemirror, and a couple unleaded gas only stickers.

Unless you are bringing over a rare M5Touring or alpina that you can buy cheap over there because of gas prices, and the rarity gets you to almost even after the conversion...it just aint worth it.

best,

geoff

my M5T sails in 2 wks. Should be ready for bimmerfest o7 in May.
    Hah, you mean bimmerfest '08? How is the car getting through customs in less than 6 months? It seems like everyone needs at least 6 months to get past the dot nazis. Now you're saying 6 weeks?

I agree on the OT, leave the '89 525 in europe.

Well I wouldn't have to pay to ship it since I'm in the army. But other than that It would probably be a better idea to just buy a new one.

If you can ship it free and got it free then worry about registration later. You can always part it out here if it isn't (apparently) worth much there.All that Euro stuff is desirable in the US you know.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"