GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Fixed the "Low Beam" error message . . .

Default Fixed the "Low Beam" error message . . .

I thought it was caused by higher wattage bulbs since it (son's 89 535i) has the eyes headlights. I pulled the bulbs out & found they're the stock 9006's but the wiring had been poorly cut & spliced so I re-crimped the splices & soldered them -- still gave the same error message.

Next step was to temporarily wire a 1-Amp bulb in parallel with one of the bulbs -- still same error.

I then opened up the LKM since it's usually trouble in these cars & sure enough, one of the relay points was obviously burned so I cleaned it with emory cloth & bent the tab slightly with a pair of needle nose so it would make better contact:

Then I re-flowed all the suspicious looking solder joints on the back of the board -- problem solved! No more message:

gale
    92 735i 5-spd, turbo project finally underway!

I am getting this a lot but it seems lamp related as when it appears and the lamp is out , a tap or two on the glass and it comes back on.I stuffed a folded up business card around the rim of the lens between that and the grill housing to give some support .I did check the wires at the Bulb itself and moving the exposed wires did not cause the light to go out and i haven't had time to remove the entire lens housing to see where the problem lay.I'd guess its the bulb perhaps broken enough on the inside of the lens housing separating but we'll see.
    1995 540i Manual build 1/95