GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my a4s 310r is leaking from the torque converter housing...

Default my a4s 310r is leaking from the torque converter housing...

end, where the tq housing connects to the front of the overdrive unit. my buddies and i were trying to end a tranny leak that i've had for about two years or so. a little background: about two years ago, i put about 3 quarts of advance autoparts DEXIII atf into the unit at an oil change--as i try to change the unit oil at every oil change. from the smell and consistency of the fluid that came out of the bottle, i can now safely conclude that the stuff was not transmission fluid, and was either in a mislabeled bottle, or was too defective in construction to serve as transmission fluid. the unit began to overheat about two weeks later. i changed the oil in the unit appx. twice within a week (28 quarts) and changed the filter, and the unit is still performing two years and many miles elapsed later.

after this, the unit began to leak--from what i thought was stripped tranny bolt holes or a bent forward pan, but, upon closer inspection this week, is from where the torque converter housing connects/mates to the overdrive. for those of you unfamiliar with the autotrans in the US m50 525i, the unit consists of three parts. 1) the tq converter housing, which bolts to 2) the overdrive housing, which has a small, forward oil sump, and bolts to 3) the main transmission unit, which has the larger oil sump. the unit is leaking from between the tq housing and overdrive. this particular tranny has a tsb about leaking between the overdrive and main body, but i inspected the unit with this in mind, and could find no leakage from that area. anyone with any tranny knowledge want to take a stab at what seals, bushings, et cetera, might be leaking? thanks.

ps....because of either bravery or hubris, we will be taking on any repair that is necessary by ourselves, with help from the atsg manual and a videotape, if we can find one for this car.

pps....peter warton, who has the same car, made a post in 2004 about some half moon shaped plastic retaining rings breaking free and causing his tranny pump to rub up "against a clutch". admittedly, i have dug the same number of these retaining rings out of my pan, and my trans. still shifts perfectly. no vibrations or anything.

thanks.
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 03-03-2007 at 10:54 PM.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Good luck with it. I've never seen a pic of your car before from the outside.

i think theres a big floppy gasket type thing in there that leaks and can cause shifting problems depending on which part is leaking and or just piss on the ground
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

Quote Originally Posted by winfred
    i think theres a big floppy gasket type thing in there that leaks and can cause shifting problems depending on which part is leaking and or just piss on the ground
    the "big floppy gasket" you refer to, is, i think, the one that the tsb is about, is the one that causes the pendulum shift issue. the leak from that is typically from between the end of the front pan, and the beginning of the back pan--and mine isn't leaking there. i used to host the PDF for the TIS repair on that gasket, but my school wiped my webspace. i don't have tis on this computer. if someone could provide it for me, i'd really appreciate it. the pdf is called SI pendulum shifting, delayed gear engagement or adaptor case......, would be in the transmission section. car is a 07/1991 525i us, left hand drive.
    "..Torchinski v. Peterson that it is legal to carry a concealed weapon, so long the weapon is totally slick like a huge ass machine gun that you carry under a trench coat, like in the Matrix."

Default PM mail sent UFL address

Warren
    88 325iX
    91 318is
    95 525iT

thanks very, very much.

ps--oh wow, i didn't see that you sent me all of that. thanks.
    Last edited by ryan roopnarine; 03-04-2007 at 07:52 AM.

i really don't want to make demands of someone who is doing me a favor, but if you get a spare moment, could you pretty pretty please send me the rest of the pendulum shift, delayed gear engagement one? if not, that's certainly ok, and i thank you for your help. i might have to find where the heck i stuck my copy of the tis.

Default PM again, this should be complete, let me know.

Warren
    88 325iX
    91 318is
    95 525iT

worked fully this time, thanks.

Hi guys,
    I have a 535i with a 5 speed and am new to these GM slush boxes

Just just picked up an E34 525it with the same tranny and similar problems as Ryan's. It was good when I first got it two weeks ago, but I've noticed a steady oil drip from the back of the oil pan and around both tranny pan covers. It is delayed to go into gear form a full stop and slips a bit around turns.

What is this TIS I hear you talking about. Does it detail the source and fix for the oil leak?

Any input would be helpful.
    Greg.
    91' E34 535i 5-speed LSD,ASC, E.A.T. enhanced

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast