GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: Subwoofer pass through ??

Default Subwoofer pass through ??

I'm putting in a single amp and subwoofer, and have already punched out the foam and metal. The only thing left is the rectangular trunk carpet piece, with about 1" thick sound insulation on it.

So for anyone who has done this, did you also cut a hole in this piece to match the pass through, and if so what did you use to cut it? (I'm thinking utility knife and straight edge at this point.) Or maybe I should just leave it intact, but I'm not sure how well the sound will come through?

Please advise!!
    Thanks
    Mike S.
    1992 535iM black/black
    1997 540iM white/gray
    Retired: 89 535iA, 85 318i

<<Support your local autobahn, stay out of the left lane!>>

after you use whatever to cut it either attach some sort of trim piece or use a soldering gun to stop the fibres from fraying.
    95 E34 530I V2.37
    ===========
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.

John F. Kennedy

Bob Gardner Guest

Default Been there, done that

my father just used a recipricating saw while i held it. the fraying wasnt too bad for us. our only problem was that we didnt measure correctly so we cut out more than we needed to. we shaped our box like a rhombus with the sides supplementary to the angle of the back seat. then we used a pre-threaded hole on the top of the trunk to bolt it in. we then heated up some 1/4 inch think steel and bent it to fit against the side of the box and the back of the back seat. we took out the back seat and cut holes where the steel lined up and used lock washers from the other side to make it damn near unstealable. im my humble opinoin, a sub is the only thing that could make an improvement in the sound system of that thing.

buddy Guest

Default sub hole

bass signals are really non directional, meaning you feel them more than hear them so you really from what i hear feek and see did not have to go thru that difficultly i have a 10 in bazzoka in the trunk powered by a rockford amp and you can feel and hear the bass notes just fine a little muddy when listening to the bass by itself but with the mids and highs it sounds great

Thanks for the replies!!

I ended up cutting an 8 x 10 approx. size hole through it, hooked up a new 400w audiobahn amp to an infinity sub, and was jamming this evening. Can't believe how great it sounds. I ran RCA's from the headunit rather than using speaker level inputs, and luckily have no alternator whine whatsoever.
    Mike S.
    1992 535iM black/black
    1997 540iM white/gray
    Retired: 89 535iA, 85 318i

<<Support your local autobahn, stay out of the left lane!>>

Unregistered Guest

Default you guys have pics of your set up? thanks

nt

I saved my factory interior trim piece. I went out and bought a piece of plywood and some black carpeting. This gave me a spot to mount the amp and tuck all the wires away. Total cost was about $20, plus I still have the OEM trunk wall mat should I want to return this car to factory appearance. The sub is secured to the opening with a nylon web strap, so I can still corner like a madman and not worry about it moving all over the place.

Derek A.
    90 535i 5 Speed - Style 5 17"