GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hydraulic valve Lifters

Default Hydraulic valve Lifters

My 525i with M50 engine rattles on start up, but this noise goes after about 30 seconds.
    My local BMw dealer reckons it might be the Hydraulic valve lifters making the noise before enough oil gets to them.
    I have had the oil changed which reduced the noise a bit, but hasent eliminated it entirely.
    Its worse when it's a cold morning.
    Anyone heard of this, or no anything about these valve lifters and if they are replaceable?

Danny,

I've got a 318iS that would do the same thing when I was running Mobil 1 15w50. This was the oil that was required for the little 16 valve 4 cylinder. It would definately rattle a couple of the lifters on startup when the temperatures were very cold. I would shut it off immediately, re-start it and the sound would be gone.

This winter, I switched to Mobil 1 0w40 European type oil, and not once did the lifters make any noise on startup all winter long.

I would try the Mobil One 0w40 in her, not only did it stop the start up lifter noise, but it also seemed to make the engine run smoother and spin up quicker.

If the Mobil One 0w40 European Type oil doesn't fix the problem, then you have lifters that are sticking and are having trouble pumping up. The thinner 0w40 synthetic will flow easier and with the cleaning capability of Mobil 1, might flush out the lifters. It's certainly worth the $30 for an oil change (if you do your own) before you go tearing into the engine.

Jr

Rick L Guest

Default I agree with JR...

Same thing... I agree with JR. Try Mobil 1 0W-40 or BMW Synthetic 5W-30. Also a friend told me you could pickup a gas additive from BMW dealer. It's in a blue container and I believe it is called "Boost ***"... something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny
    My 525i with M50 engine rattles on start up, but this noise goes after about 30 seconds.
    My local BMw dealer reckons it might be the Hydraulic valve lifters making the noise before enough oil gets to them.
    I have had the oil changed which reduced the noise a bit, but hasent eliminated it entirely.
    Its worse when it's a cold morning.
    Anyone heard of this, or no anything about these valve lifters and if they are replaceable?

Default One of my M50 engines has very noisy lifters after

being driven on the highway for awhile. Once it starts the noise is constant and very loud, and it is worse when accelerating. The noise will continue until the car is shut down for an hour or so. There is very little lifter noise on startup and that goes away immediately. When the car is only driven in town, the noise never appears even if the car is driven for a long time.

It is so loud that whenever we come back to town after driving on the highway, I don't like driving anywhere with it until we can get it home and shut down for awhile. It is very embarrassing - maybe I should get a "diesel" emblem put on the car.

I had been using Mobil 1 10w-30 and recently changed it to 15w-50. That seemed to lessen the noise, but it is still there.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I need to do?

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders
    Quote Originally Posted by Jr ///M5
    Danny,

I've got a 318iS that would do the same thing when I was running Mobil 1 15w50. This was the oil that was required for the little 16 valve 4 cylinder. It would definately rattle a couple of the lifters on startup when the temperatures were very cold. I would shut it off immediately, re-start it and the sound would be gone.

This winter, I switched to Mobil 1 0w40 European type oil, and not once did the lifters make any noise on startup all winter long.

I would try the Mobil One 0w40 in her, not only did it stop the start up lifter noise, but it also seemed to make the engine run smoother and spin up quicker.

If the Mobil One 0w40 European Type oil doesn't fix the problem, then you have lifters that are sticking and are having trouble pumping up. The thinner 0w40 synthetic will flow easier and with the cleaning capability of Mobil 1, might flush out the lifters. It's certainly worth the $30 for an oil change (if you do your own) before you go tearing into the engine.

Jr

I have an M50B20 '91 engine and the same problem. I have tryed everything: oil grade changes, half-synthetics, ful synthetics, fuel additives, engine oil additives and nothing but just a slight changes. Recently I found that a German manufacturer Liqui Molly has produced an engine oil additive which is designed for the problem we got. It suppose to clean all the tiny oil paths arround the lifters and help faster oil circulation.
    Have anybody saw how small are the holes and paths from where the lifters are supplied with engone oil? I have seen it ... everything is really tiny and a small dirt particles can really mess up our life.
    I have ordered one can ... I'll report what is the efect.

Default Love that 0W40. Go for it, Dude!

Danny,

Jr

Default Thanks Ed,I'm back in business.. Dick I strongly suspect that these

tech bulletins are what is happening to your car when its warmed up on the highway....

OR this one.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Schneiders
    being driven on the highway for awhile. Once it starts the noise is constant and very loud, and it is worse when accelerating. The noise will continue until the car is shut down for an hour or so. There is very little lifter noise on startup and that goes away immediately. When the car is only driven in town, the noise never appears even if the car is driven for a long time.

It is so loud that whenever we come back to town after driving on the highway, I don't like driving anywhere with it until we can get it home and shut down for awhile. It is very embarrassing - maybe I should get a "diesel" emblem put on the car.

I had been using Mobil 1 10w-30 and recently changed it to 15w-50. That seemed to lessen the noise, but it is still there.

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what I need to do?

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Default Thanks Bill, I will check it out. I have a copy of the TIS,

but have really not learned how to use it very well. I use the ETK and Repair Manual discs a lot, but just never got deeply into the TIS.

I think I need to start playing around with it as you keep coming up with pertinent stuff from it.

Thanks,

Dick Schneiders

Quote Originally Posted by Bill R.
    tech bulletins are what is happening to your car when its warmed up on the highway....

OR this one.....

Thanks Jr I will try this as soon as the shops open.

Danny,

Jr

Default Liqui Moli

I am going to try Jr solution first and see if that makes any difference, but I would be interested to hear how you get on with the Liqui Moli.

Quote Originally Posted by molesz
    I have an M50B20 '91 engine and the same problem. I have tryed everything: oil grade changes, half-synthetics, ful synthetics, fuel additives, engine oil additives and nothing but just a slight changes. Recently I found that a German manufacturer Liqui Molly has produced an engine oil additive which is designed for the problem we got. It suppose to clean all the tiny oil paths arround the lifters and help faster oil circulation.
    Have anybody saw how small are the holes and paths from where the lifters are supplied with engone oil? I have seen it ... everything is really tiny and a small dirt particles can really mess up our life.
    I have ordered one can ... I'll report what is the efect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast