GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric supercharger

Default Electric supercharger

I have gotten an e-mail response from North End Tuning regarding a supercharger for my bimmer . They want to sell me a custom kit for it. Have you heared anything about this company? http://www.electricchargers.com

Cannot believe that, up to 30 HP for $ 99.95 with that simple mod.

on engines under 2L they might provide a bit of improvement, but on cars that suck airs like ours, they are like sticking a sock in the intake.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

Quote Originally Posted by jordansportsfan76
    I have gotten an e-mail response from North End Tuning regarding a supercharger for my bimmer . They want to sell me a custom kit for it. Have you heared anything about this company? http://www.electricchargers.com
    Not only 1 post, but it's an advertisement...
    Also, a completely random username....
    More obvious plz.
    EuroLux:. Private Detail
    E34 1/'89 ///M20 2.5i: Lachsilber

at least it was worded like an actual question, well enough to get actual answers.
    Alusil, Dinan DME | ITG Air Filter | Eibach/Bilstein HD | 26/20 Swaybars | Iridium plugs | Depo/ProLumen HID | Optima batt. | no AC | Stoptech brake lines, Frozen rotors, brass bushings, Superblue

There was a video on streetfire with some clowns using a leaf blower on a dyno run. It made a significant difference. Guess you'd need a pretty long cord though.
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

just about any 12v dc motor that has enough ass to produce decent boost will be drawing enough power that the alternator will be sucking back most of the gains in drag, unless you are buying one of the many boat bilge ventalator blowers off ebay, then it's just a minor intake restriction
    all america wants is cold beer warm cat and a place to take a poop with a door on it

I'm buying four.
    InDEuroz | e34 540i/6 '94 w/ bore/stroked m62 | e30 325iS '87 | Ducati 748R '00

Over the years, electric superchargers have been discussed and dissed extensively on the Porsche boards. Nobody has much if any faith in the concept, which is considered bogus and pitched to naive ricer types.

That said, various monster machines such as TRAINS that pull hundreds of freight cars are driven by electric motors fed by diesel generators. Electric motors do, after all, get max torque from standstill. Surely a small permanent magnet motor could produce equivalent torque to that of typical automotive turbocharger shaft. In other words, a motor should be able to produce as much torque as that made by the spend exhaust gases passing through a turbine, but do so without the lag. Anyone?
    Dash01
    '90 535ia 272K miles

Seems to me it would take a reasonably serious electric motor to actually produce boost and that motor will require energy to run it.
    The loss encountered converting the mechanical energy of the engine to electricity then back to mechanical energy I think would outweigh any gains.
    Trains have no choice but to deal with the loss. Can you imagine trying to couple a combustion engine to that sort of load?
    "The gas pedal wouldn't go to the floor if it weren't meant to be there"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast