GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant

Thread: anyone worked on an s38?

Default anyone worked on an s38?

hey there guys, i bought a 91 m5 about six months ago and this is my first bimmer. so far, ive had a hell of a time fixing or tuning anything on it. so i was wondering if someone can tell me if the e34 bentley manual would be any help to me before i spend 80 bucks on it. im looking to find things like clutch slave cylinder, how to check the sls and things like that. so any information like a "secret" how to book or something i would be extremely grateful. truly -tone

the bently covers the non M E34s. check out www.m5board.com theres a lot more active M5 members there than there are here.

Just curious, did you have the car inspected before buying it?

The slave cylinder is mounted to the left hand side of the transmission. Checking the SLS involves looking for leaks, if the car still has the original suspension.

I once worked on an S38. Man, that was fun!

Those fixes are not S38 related. The slave is the same procedure for other e34s. The sls is the same as a Touring. There is plenty for basic maintenance our there on the web. Just look for S14 engines also. Do your research and bookmark the sites. The Bentley will help in many ways since everything else besides the engine shares the same procedures as other e34s.
    Brandon J

thanx brandon, i will get the bentley manual this week n get try to get started on the slave this weekend. we just got about a couple feet o snow here, but it will be melted soon..

naw kal, i had my bro come check it out w/ me. hes no mechanic, but we both felt the car ran very strong and handled really well at the test drive. that pretty much decided for me. paperwork that was w/ it says all original dealer stuff. first thing i did was get a couple qts of pentosin 7.1 for it, but it was already almost full. still is. i looked for fuses but i only found the big ones in the engine bay. i bet its hiding like the batterie... heheh. anyway i havent spotted the slave from under the car yet, but my bros coming over this weekend to take a look w/ me. ill keep u posted. and thanx. -tone

thanx for the tip, markus..