GO FISHING, use SLABSAUCE Fishing Attractant
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tempted by an ///M5

Default Tempted by an ///M5

A guy in town is selling a 1991 ///M5 for $15k. 77k miles, white on black, RD 5-spoke wheels and turbines as spares, very clean and otherwise 100% stock.

I'm trying to talk myself into or out of buying it...

Any daily ///M5 drivers want to comment on how much more expensive maintaining an M is than my old 91 535? Inquiring minds want to know.

Any thoughts appreciated, I'm really on the fence. Plus side is, well, it's an //M5. Down side is the nebulous fear of huge repair costs.

TIA,

Robin

Default Bmw M5 Parts

My father in law has a 91 M5. About a year ago he had to replace his back
    box exhaust it cost app. £900 Sterling.
    He also had to replace the water pump about 2 weeks ago and cost roughly
    £300.
    So yes expensive repair costs. But it looks fantastic drives brilliantly,
    and yes it's a M5.

Default I assume he has a mechanic do the work? (nt)

Quote Originally Posted by SIXPACKDREAMER
    So yes expensive repair costs. But it looks fantastic drives brilliantly,
    and yes it's a M5.

Default Seems like a good price

If it's been kept up.

Although I would be sorely tempted myself, I will never forget the phrase "not for the faint of wallet" that many have used with regard to the M5. I'm not sure what degree of wrenching you do--if you do little or none and you have any doubts at all, I would stick with the good thing you already have.

Another bit of advice I've heard on M5s is to spend half of your budget on the car and keep the other half in reserve for the inevitable.

I am relatively certain that the E34 M5 is best suited as an occasional driver/garage queen, but everyone's pockets have a different depth...and, the number of M5s represented on this board is pretty decent to support you as necessary.

FWIW from a desk jockey with clean, soft hands.

Quote Originally Posted by Robin-535im
    A guy in town is selling a 1991 ///M5 for $15k. 77k miles, white on black, RD 5-spoke wheels and turbines as spares, very clean and otherwise 100% stock.

Any daily ///M5 drivers want to comment on how much more expensive maintaining an M is than my old 91 535? Inquiring minds want to know.

Any thoughts appreciated, I'm really on the fence. Plus side is, well, it's an //M5. Down side is the nebulous fear of huge repair costs.

TIA,

Robin

TIA,

Robin
    They can be very expensive if you require repairs to the motor. And even if you do all the work yourself, motor parts are expensive. I have heard that many people end up spending $10 - 15K US when they send it to a garage for the rebuild.
    You will find a lot of useful info here:

http://www.bmwe34m5.com/faqs/

Mark

Robin, if you were planning on using it as a daily driver, that's your decision. Although they are capable and dependable, it wouldn't be my choice. Any car is a depreciating asset, although some will hold their value more than others, especially the M5.

Depending on condition and service records and previous ownership, this particular M5 could be looked at as more of an investment of the enjoyment kind.

If you do your own wrenching, that's one thing, and most parts are available through BMA of course. Be ready for quite an increase in your parts budget and your insurance budget. These cars are listed as a class 23 for insurance purposes. The 318iS is listed as a class 17, a run of the mill plain jane auto would be like class 10 or 12. I use a "garage policy" for mine which runs only $200 a year.....you can't beat that. The catch is calling your agent when you want to take it out. So I look at it like a phone call is saving 2-300 a year.

Parts will cost at least 30% over what you pay for the 535 for most things, items like the suspension (only applicable to the M5) will cost 3 times as much as the 535 would. The engine is very unique, and once sorted will last at least 200k before work needs to be done. But if it goes down, it usually goes way down....taking a good chunk of your wallet with it.

They are fun cars and worth every penny for the right one, check out the BMW E34 M5 FAQ for more of an education before you make an offer on it. Good luck with your negotiations....

Jr http://www.bmwe34m5.com/faqs/

Default Thanks Jr,

I was hoping you would chime in.

I'm going to stop in and look at it again today. I chatted with the local service manager at the dealer - good guy, real easy to talk to and freely shares his thoughts. He said they hardly ever saw E34 M5 engines in the shop, and those few that came in were either overheated and driven "the last few miles home" or were run low on oil. He was full of praise for the car (though it's not his wallet at stake!)

I calculated that if I were to take the difference an ///M5 would cost vs. 535 for insurance and payments and invest it in a mutual fund, I could retire 1 year earlier. Then again, I didn't factor in speeding tickets, SRS parts, valve shims, ...

I am thinking of it as a daily driver, but I plan to stash a few $k in savings to prepare for parts costs. I dunno - feels really tempting...

- Robin
    91 535 im (salvage)
    ?91 ///M5?

Default ///M5 and 535im

I am forunate enough to own both great cars, the 535im as a daily driver for 3 years, the ///M5 as a garage queen-weekend dirve in nice weather for 2 years.

If you are concerned about the operating costs, you should consider the purchase based on the condition of the car and its maintenance history, also a thorough pre-purchase inspection. $15k seems low for a E34 M5 with 77k miles. If I had to guess, it may be because it is behind on maintenance and needs work. I could be wrong though, but most people who own an M5 know the value and dont give them away so low priced.

I can tell you this, if you do buy it, it will not disappoint you, it will put a smile on your face even more so than the 535im, which is a great car. The M5 is so much more, every time I drive my car I start to think of how I might be able to purchase another for safe keeping.

A E34 ///M5 that has been well maintained can run strong with no worries of 15k engine replacement costs, at least that is what I read and am hoping for.

Default Music to my ears...

Quote Originally Posted by icm5er
    I am forunate enough to own both great cars, the 535im as a daily driver for 3 years, the ///M5 as a garage queen-weekend dirve in nice weather for 2 years.

A E34 ///M5 that has been well maintained can run strong with no worries of 15k engine replacement costs, at least that is what I read and am hoping for.
    Well... I hope you're right too. I took another look at it. The guy bought it in Florida for ~17k a few years ago, with 75000 miles on it. The engine bay is spotless (could have been detailed of course) the valve stem/cam shaft area is clean, and no obvious signs of overheating. It doesn't leak anywhere either. Looks very sharp inside and out. Do I sound like a guy who's already sold or what? I'll probably take it to the dealer or a good indy for a pre-purchase inspection anyway, just to cover my buns.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll join you as an owner of both!

- Robin
    Last edited by Robin-535im; 04-30-2004 at 06:41 PM.

Default He only put 2,000 miles on it in a "few years" time period!

That is a crime - these cars should be driven more than that.

Well... I hope you're right too. I took another look at it. The guy bought it in Florida for ~17k a few years ago, with 75000 miles on it. The engine bay is spotless (could have been detailed of course) the valve stem/cam shaft area is clean, and no obvious signs of overheating. It doesn't leak anywhere either. Looks very sharp inside and out. Do I sound like a guy who's already sold or what? I'll probably take it to the dealer or a good indy for a pre-purchase inspection anyway, just to cover my buns.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I'll join you as an owner of both!

- Robin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast